The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP PLEASE - Failed MOT -Tester willing to be shown proof for emissions

Simon

Any car that can be identified as august 1992 on wards import or not is by law to have a cat test, i have been mot testing for 2 years now and 2 months ago we went computerised and any mot garage that puts incorrect data on the system on purpose if caught will recieve points against there liscence :) you can ring any vosa helpline and they will tell you the exact same thing. A 1993 tt j-spec will have to have a cat test.

Wrong answer! You're one of those know it all awkward MOT testers aren't you! :p

The car is a non EU derivative and as such lacks the EGR system found on the UK spec. It does not need the cat test pre-95.

Cheers,

Brian.

If the car is not on the department of transport database pre 95, then NO cat test. I can't tell you whether or not the supra is on there though. I used to own an FTO that I had decatted, one year the car was not on the DOT database, the next it was, so it needed a cat.

Good luck mate.

Has anyone had a j-spec tt MOT'd under the new computerised system that has passed without cats legally.

Mine passed in feb this year (aug '93 TT).

I was a bit concerned, but according to the MOT guys computer it had a non cat test

So it's down to the tester to decide whether the database is wrong even though it has the engine model code (because of the UK spec) because it is a non eu car or just to test using the specs the computer displays and then same a lot of hassle for themselves.

Computer says failed mate, nothing I can do about it, it's this new system you see, it's on the database and that's never wrong.

If your dvla doc has a zero c02 rating , which it will if an import then it can be tested as a decat i believe, as there is no c02 limit set as it was not known at time of registration, they may be testing car as if it is a ukspec tt

Just checked my doc and yup there are no emissions figs at all. Will find out in sept... :)

Guest supra rob
Wrong answer! You're one of those know it all awkward MOT testers aren't you! :p

The car is a non EU derivative and as such lacks the EGR system found on the UK spec. It does not need the cat test pre-95.

Cheers,

Brian.

Damn looks like i need to do my refresher course again :( but my garage is due to have its anual check on the bike mot section so il ask the vosa inspector ;)

Damn looks like i need to do my refresher course again :( but my garage is due to have its anual check on the bike mot section so il ask the vosa inspector ;)

Funny enough my old man is ex fleet manager for british gas (before all the outsourcing) and one of the guys he worked with there is now a head guy at VOSA. We asked him to get a direct answer from the top dog RE: this situation as my brother is having a similar prob with his heavily modded '94 GT-Four import. If we get an answer I'll post it here, straight from the horses mouth so to speak and try to get something in writing for people to reference. It's been 2 weeks though, so I'm not holding my breath!

Cheers,

Brian.

Failed even with cat back in :( have started another post so please don't post here).

Possible problems with lambda sensor.

But why oh why are we still getting different tests carried out when this new systems was supposed to standardise things. The tester who did mine plumbed in the engine code and chassis code - Came up that it needed a cat fitted. I suppose it could depend on which set of discs the garage is using older or newer ones. Bloody strange and extremely frustrating.