The mkiv Supra Owners Club

External Wastegate Advice

mkirby

Hi There

i'm running Trust wastegates with TD05-18g turbos and whilst mapping i had forgot to undu the adjustor screw on the bottom hence there was nothing controlling the boost and they hit 1.7 bar :eek: but the mapper quickly let off and we adjusted them down

The question i have for any guru's out there is i know if there fully screwed up it closes the wastegate and just boosts for fun but i thought once you start undoing the screw it didnt control the amount of boost just how hard it comes in?

On mine the more i undu it the less boost i get? so we have completly removed the screw now and getting a perfect 1 bar of boost but now the boost controller doesnt controll the boost even if i turn it up to full???

So does the screw "have" to be in even if its all the way out??

Sorry for the stupid questions but if you dont ask you dont learn :)

Mike

Guest Terry S

turning the screw in should increase pressure on the spring. undoing it will decrease pressure to a certain point but the minimum will be the rated pressure of the spring. Not sure on the GReddy gates but by removing the screw you may have introduced a vacuum leak to the system. I much prefer the HKS gates, but Tial and Turbosmart are supposed to be good too, maybe one of these will fit on your WG flange.

HTH

Are you running twins Mike? If you are I wouldn't mind a look at them sometime...

Yes i am running twins, but not on a supra ;)

I can put the screws back in and yes it does have a locking nut so i may put the screws back in and just leave them right out and lock them in??

Ah yes I've just seen your website :)

your welcome to have a look though :D

and yes i will replace the screws and put them just in

what i wanted was if i turned my boost controller off i wanted a nice 1 bar boost and set the EVC to 1.3 and 1.6 bar :)

dont know if you guys have seen the engine bay in a 300zx twin turbo but we have managed to fit 3 inch pipework onto the turbos and ran them to where the side mounts went :) pretty chuffed with the way it all went as i thought we would never make them fit :rolleyes:

so fingers crossed its solved my lack of intake air flow problem and enables me to get it mapped up properly!!

Many thanks for all your help

Mike