The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil change/Top up

Paul

Hi all, my 95TTUK is in desperate need of an oil change, I only want the oil changed for now as I want to get Leon to give it a 'proper' service at a later date.

Do Toyota do just an oil change (and filter) or do you have to go the whole hog for an 'A' service?. I'd rather not do it myself as the filter is a bit of a pain to get to I believe.

Also, it may need a top up before, as the level is on the low side, I think that it has Castrol Magnetex in at the mo, but can I put any oil in, bearing in mind that it'll all be drained within a week or two?

Cheers, Paul.

The oil change is simple as any other car, more or less.

What is NOT easy is the filter change.    I did it, but to get it out from above requires unbolting the PAS steering reservoir, and even then it's a tight squeeze to get to the filter.   Plus it's at quite an angle so the old oil spews out everywhere.   Plus it was on too tight to undo by hand so i had to buy a one-handed filter wrench.   Plus it's nasty to get back on.   er....

So yeah the oil change is easy (might need to trolley jack the car up in order to make space to get your old oil receptacle underneath), but I can't be arsed to change the filter again myself, and will leave that to someone else.    It's a surprisingly small filter and doesn't hold much oil.

Stu,

that's what I thought, not worth the aggro as I want the filter changed too. Plus if it spews out all over the block paving drive then it'll end up costing more than getting it done in the first place:shocked:

Guess I'll chuck some in tomorrow then see how much Mr Toyota will want for just a filter + oil change.

It's not that I'm a whimp in the engineering/mechanical stakes, just that I'd rather pay someone with better equipment to tear the skin off their knuckles  :biggrin:

Cheers, Paul.  

Cheers lads,

I took a look at the position of the filter today and it looks impossible from above but still bloody tight from below, especially with only a trolley jack and stands.

I phoned Toyota and they want 'a' service price £130 ish, still would prefer to get this Leon to do it, at least I know what oil he has put in!. Only problem is when I last contacted him, he was booked for a month or two, which is a good thing in a way, cause it means he's popular. Just to ease Phil's (and my own) mind, I've put in a litre to bring it up to near full, and yes I WILL CHECK MORE OFTEN :)

Paul