The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ABS Wheel Sensors.......please help !!

SupraTT

Ok for anyone about to read this thread....sit down first cos its long !!!

My ABS light on my MKIV TT J-Spec has been on lately, first when i start the ignition then it goes out,then 5 secs later it stays on permanently / either that or it just stays on when i turn on ignition all the time.

I took it to Toyota today, and they thought it would be a wheel sensor, so they checked the voltages to each wheels sensor and "thought" it was either the front or rear passenger side one.

So fairs fair they contacted the warranty company and they agreed that the ABS System was covered by warranty and that they would pay for the new sensor, BUT they would also only pay for half an hours labour which is what they say is the maximum time it should take to replace, fair enough i said.

But NO NO NO Arnold Clark Toyota in Aberdeen, said that because of this, they now wanted ME to pay them £98 for the supposed 2HOURS that it took to check the voltage to the sensors and diagnose the fault !!! I mean 2 hours ??????

After an almighty row i asked the guy to explain to me how it could possibly take two hours, and he said "Fair enough it may not take two hours, but we ESTIMATE diagnosing an ABS fault SHOULD take two hours ?!!?" So in actual fact, i then managed to find out from one of the mechanics on the sly, that the guy actually only spent like 45 mins getting a fault code and checking the voltage on the sensor to diagnose the fault. BUSTED !!

I told the guy this without mentioning any names of mechanics, and he was stumped. He then admitted that it maye have taken "less" than the two hours they wanted me to stump up for, BUT if i didnt pay them two hours inspection money ( @£49 an hour!!!!! ) then they would not be repairing my car and didnt want to work on it EVER AGAIN !!!!!  nice eh ?

The guy couldnt look me in the eye, and i asked why i was being forced to pay 2 hours supposed inspection charges for 45 mins work MAX and he just couldnt find a way out of it. This resulted in me being handed my keys and told to sod off ..... albeit with my car unrepaired.

Incidentally, this is the same company who diagnosed a front end knocking noise as an upper wishbone at £450 !! and the warranty company paid for that to be fitted, only for the noise to return and it was found to actually be a dodgy drop link for about £35 !!!!

They basically have no ability to work on these vehicles and it shows. But being the only Toyota garage within a zillion miles of me, i am forced to go there for warranty work and parts.

What does everyone think i should do about this? Pay the £98 and be ripped off AGAIN by this dealership, or what ????

Also how hard is it to fit an ABS wheel sensor ? and do thay all have the same part number for each wheel ? cos if they do then i will get it myself and fit it myself and they can bugger off ?

Does anyone have a part number for an ABS Wheel sensor please ??

I am sick of being taken for a fortune by this place just because my car is an "Import" and surely charging £98 "inspection" fees is beyond a joke ?? I mean £30-40 fair enough but £98 ????

It seems to me like they are just wanting to skin this job for as much money as possible out of me and the warranty company !

Can someone offer a part number / advice please ??

Cheers

Michael

You may just need a fluid refresh as the ABS system could be detecting air in the system. Though, if what they say is true, and a sensor is down, then 2-hours sounds quite reasonable. But what I cannot understand is the 45-mins getting the fault code. Should have taken no more than 2 mins maximum as that is the very first thing anyone would check.

Yours,

J

A couple of points I've found out about warrantys.  I've got w Warranty Holdings full cover, everything up to the price of the car.

1) They will only pay 25 quid per hour - I have to either let then take it to an 'approved' garage or pay the rest themselves.

2) The don't pay for any diagnostic time.

3) They only pay for the exact problem - e.g. when I had my BHG they wouldn't pay for new head bolts and even though the head was warped they wouldn't pay for the time to dismantle it or for the skim.

4) They take their job time from a database - it sound's like there is a standard one everywhere uses.  Even if the job takes the garage longer - then you end up paying more.

5) Mine is unusual in that it covers fluids etc.  e.g. they paid for new coolant, apparently most don't!!!

Oooo, a bit of a vent here, sorry :biggrin:

Steve, don't get me on the subject of warranties. I've been ripped-off more times than I can spit. For the most part, you are absolutely right. They will warranty "the problem" but that problem needs diagnosing, dismantling and re-building.

Yours,

J

Cant you only get done with slander if you post something untrue resulting in daffemation of character ??

They said that the Engine Fault Codes dont match up with their diagnostics because Import MKIV codes are different ? is this true ?

Hence why they reckon it took them 45 mins to chack all the voltages at the wheel sensors.

The guy was shoving the job card in my face however, and i caught a glimpse of what i "thought" looked like something saying something about a Fault Code 36 ??? would that be right ???? whats 36 ????

But if the diagnostics are different then how could they get a fault code 36 and know what it meant ?????? I am lost.......

The buggers are trying to take me for whetever they can get and they know it,

To simplify this i have made it easier :-

1) Are fault codes different on UK Cars to J-Spec ??

2) How much is a new ABS Wheel sensor ?

3) How easy is it and where is it located ?

4)When all you guys take your car to Toyota do they charge you for looking for the fault alone ????

Cheers guys

M

Being the  ABS sensor expert of the day, well location anyway. They are easy to locate. On front and  rear wheels they are mounted on the front of the hub about 20 degree above the centre line. They are held in place by a 10mm bolt. The bold is not tight as the  sensor is held in a plastic housing. The  sensor is connect to the ABS electrical system by a connector with  a fairly  large rubber waterproof cap. Once the wheel is off they take about one minute to remove.

On replacement just add a  1mm - 2mm layer of white grease to the part  of the sensor that  locates in the hub to make a good waterproof seal.

I have not looked at   a UK system but assume them to be the same.

I don't have part numbers, but I am sure someone can get them.

Code 36 is a problem with either the right front or the left rear speed sensor.

The error codes are not all that different. With the UK car there are error-codes relating to the MAF sensor, for example, where the J-spec car does not have such a sensor fitted. But the error codes relating to the brakes are the same AFAIAA.

All you do to read any stored error codes is short pins TE1 and E1 of the diagnostic connector then switch the IGN on. The engine check light will flash in a certain sequence which tells you the code. For code 36, what you will get is a longe pause, followed by 3 flashes, then a short pause, followed by 6 flashes, then a long pause again and the whole sequence repeats.

What may be throwing them out is the UK car has a TE2 terminal used also for error-code recording, which is not present on the J-spec. But that factor is irrelevent to reading the codes on your car.

Frankly, I don't know what they are faffing about with. You don't need any "diagnostics system" to read the codes at all (OBDI car that is). In fact, you could do it yourself quite easily. Simply straighten a paperclip, connect it between pins TE1 and E1 of the diagnostic sensor, switch the IGN to on, and read the code.

Yours,

J