The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Installed boost gauge

Steve Cargill

I’ve just installed my boost gauge, 52mm replacing the clock, and have a couple of questions.

1) When idling I get about –15 PSI.  Normal?

2) Normal driving, accelerating part throttle I get 7-10PSI.  Guess this is just the first turbo.

3) I’ve had two WOT blasts, about 5 seconds each and it stabilised at 14PSI during the run.

Does all this sound normal for my car – see sig for details.

Second question, what would happen it a pipe came off.  I assume that I’d lose the reading on the gauge and it would effectively be running with the T-Bleeder mod wide open? i.e. I'd notice it pretty quick.

Thirdly, have a look at the picture, is it installed correctly.  I followed the direction on the MKIV.COM site for the install with the exception of the exact location of my T, it’s in the same stretch of piping though.  You can just see it going into the black thingy on the side of the throttle body.  There is a bit of extra piping in there I'll tidy up when I'm happy with it.

http://www.cargills.demon.co.uk/supra/BoostGaugeT.jpeg

I've now pushed tha balck hose fully onto the T by the way!

(Edited by Steve Cargill at 4:54 pm on Nov. 27, 2001)

I'd probably get some jubilee clips for those hoses as if the come off you'll lose boost.

Your boost all sounds normal.

You hitting 1bar at WOT

You should see the needle shoot up from 7-14psi at 4000 rpm which indeed is your second turbo on-line.

A negative reading is also normal as with out the throttle open a good way your using un-pressurised air. As soon as you pass the zero point you are into the forced induction zone...ie the crap MPG zone. So if your cruising you'll soon learn to passively watch the boost gauge and keep it low!

As for the installation I personally can't help as mine was fitted already, so I wouldn't like to guess.

(Edited by Alex Holdroyd at 5:13 pm on Nov. 27, 2001)