The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto or manual

leonv

i just like to add that you may sometimes not know the auto box is about to change down a gear,

as happened with a owner on here, went from 3rd to 2nd gear around a corner and crashed.

if you like control over your gear changes, go manual

Unless that was a mechanical failure, then that's down to driver error. Sorry to sound harsh, but the gearbox doesn't kickdown unless your right foot asks it to, and if he was applying that much throttle mid bend and achieving kickdown then he was giving to it too much throttle for the conditions.

Guest chiefvinso

Welcome - Manual all the way for me. Its down to what you are going to use it for and where and the auto is a good box just not suited to my driving style.

Having driven my first TT auto the other day (cheers Nick) I was extremely impressed with the auto box, the gear changes are instant, and no jerk at all, real top quality engineering from Mr T. However, saying that, he then drove my manual N/A and realised how much he misses the real gear changing, and the rush of dropping a gear or 3 - with your left hand - and booting it. I reckon the auto is good if you are a) lazy b) do a lot of drag runs/track racing or c) do sh*t loads of driving and don't like arsing about with clutch control when stuck in traffic! Personally if I had the choice, I'd go with the manual, but each to their own :)

one more d) if you dont derive any enjoyment whatsoever from changing a gear and like to focus on controlling the vehicle when on any type of straight or bend (including a drag strip) and like to enjoy the full power of the Supra whilst maintaining total engine integrity ;)