The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LPG Conversion......

Whitesupraboy2

Have to agree my old man had a lPG nissan primera for about 4 day's and that was slow ! . Whats the point if your trying to save money for the price of a conversion you could buy a second hand diesel car or a 1.0 petrol ..to run around in and supra for the weekend's if money is tight? As for doing it to a supra are you mad ! :banghead: probably get beaten by alot of 2litre's petrol car's if you were running a n/a with LPG,

but I suppose if all you look at all day is the mirror who is worried ..

Another option is you can get dual systems so LPG and Petrol and a flick of a switch changes between them ?.. as for the people who think LPG cars are as quick as petrol , I suppose we should tell the ferrari F1 team that they should use gas more gpm and it is just as quick !

Yea right

There was a MKIV TT round here that had a LPG conversion the tank was a ring in the spare wheel position.

I have a 4L V8 on a swithchable multipoint(8) injection LPG system with two huge tanks and range is the biggest problem, so in the small space available in the MKIV, I think this may be a significant problem. There are more and more stations putting LPG in so hopefully the range issue will be a thing of the past soon.

As for performance loss, I thought it would be worse than it is. I do notice a very slight difference but in most situations it is not a problem or noticeable with 95 octane fuel,a bit more noticeable on Optimax. The only way I can tell which fuel I am on sometimes is to look at the selector. On a good run my 4L V8 costs as much as a 2L Pinto to run so. The latest installs are very good and reliability excellent, with very low maintenance costs. It takes a while for a car that is converted to get up to full economy. It does clean your engine on the inside too.

Do not read too much into the comparative figures, as to get the claimed economy you have to use a feather on the throttle. I can empty the tanks fast if I drive hard. I would expect to get half to three quarters of the claimed savings per year.

I just drive until the gas runs out and switch to petrol until I can fill up with gas again. If I used petrol for the twisty bits at the beginning and end of long journeys and use gas on the economy bits I am sure I could make the gas go further.

But for long distance steady speed cruising in cruise control it is great.

You can get grants to install which bring the cost way down and make it a more sensible option. Most conversion are for a duel fuel car so you have the best of both worlds. However I am not tempted to stick it in my TT.:flame Dev

Would you guys convert a Jag, Big BM/Merc , then why not a TT.

I was against it at first but my Cousin recently had his Nissan LPG'd and put in 18 Litres costing £6.10. Thats like 50p/Litre saving on unleaded never mind optimax.

If I filled up the TT iwth unleaded, it usually costs around £55, that would save me £33.37 if I used LPG, the doughnet tank would be only 45 Litres though .

So Full tank would cost £15.30 and i would about 160 miles on it. Not bad at all.

I am tempted but I am going to have a long think.

At the moment I'm spending around 70quid a week on petrol. :mad:

Fitting LPG isn't an option for me. It's already been pointed out the boot is too small for a decent sized tank and if the only way to get good mileage is with steady speed cruising then that's the nail in the coffin. I'm either stuck in traffic on the M25 or enjoying myself...

If I'm still in the country at the end of summer then the cars going into storage for the winter and I'll buy myself a cheap run around. Not going to be a great driving experience but at least I won't have to wash the car for 6 months :)

A mate of mine fitted a kit to his BMW M3 and he raves about the savings it makes him. Admittedley he does a lot of motorway stuff. He has another kit on his old V8 engined summat or other and that is significantly cheaper to run. Any hows the kit he put on his BM was around £1200 if not more and in his words an absolute tw*t to fit. He has fitted loads of kits now to loads of different cars and reccomends it to anyone that will listen:D He did say he would never put one on another M3 again though cos of the hassle.

On the no no claims front for a second car phone around alot of companies will match your existing no claims elephant certainly did for my sierra diesel (which sits forlornly on the side of the road waiting to be used:D )

I hope I have not missled here but LPG is still better than petrol on economy round town it is just the real gains are on a long steady speed run. On a 400 mile round trip in the V8, 20 miles town the rest motorway and duel carridgeway' holding 80 / 85 GPS, I used about 80 quids worth of 95 octane fuel, but only did this once. I drive just as hard on gas as I like to do the trip in the same time and I do it for just under 50 quid each time.

I think it will take two year to pay for a full price install.

The install on my V8 engine was professional, it is very complex but very neat. It takes up a fair bit of extra space in the engine bay as well as hugh space under the car for the tanks. Remember you only get 80% of the tank filled with gas as the rest is for expansion.

Another thing to note is that if you use the gas alot the petol sitting in your tank will degrade and your octane rating will drop.