The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra's dead in undesirable carpark

Flipfinger

Went shopping, came back 10 minutes later, put the ignition on stage 1 (lights, air-con etc going) and spent about 5 minutes (stupid I know) talking to friends on my phone before trying to turn the engine over.

CLICKACLICKACLICKACLICKA

That's all the noise I get from the engine now - like it's trying to start the engine but not enough juice.

Is this a nearly-flat battery or what?

As it is, I'm going to have to leave it in the carpark overnight and pray that nobody does anything to it.

Sounds more likely to be a totally dead battery from the sound of it.

Get someone who lives near you to come with some leads and help jump-start it.

Otherwise it is probably going to be smashed in and keyed, if not stolen as if your battery is dead, your alarm/immobiliser may not work.

Good luck!!!

Certanly sounds like a dead battery.  I'd have expected it to last longer than that though, could well have been on it's way out anyway.  My last battery was OK when I drove the car every day, but now I only do occasional short journies it laboured more and more.  Checking the battery it wouldn't go about 8.5V.  Got a new battery and it starts much quicker now.

Battery still has enough life to engage / disengage alarm, so I guess the immobiliser and alarm is okay (it has its own battery back-up anyway).

As for bump starts and jump starts, the people that sold me the alarm said that it would do something nasty to the battery.

Thought that was what it is, I guess I've done a lot of small drives (not allowing the alternator to charge the battery etc).

I've got a multimeter at home - doh - could just go and check it now!

Going to get ratted tonight, make the night go quicker so I don't stay at home wondering if it's alright or not!

Thanks for your speedy responses.

Quote: from Flipfinger on 6:24 pm on Dec. 14, 2001[br]Battery still has enough life to engage / disengage alarm, so I guess the immobiliser and alarm is okay (it has its own battery back-up anyway).

As for bump starts and jump starts, the people that sold me the alarm said that it would do something nasty to the battery.

The alarm will take a hell of a lot less power than the starter.  What happens if you put the lights on, do they dim very quickly?

If it's an auto you can't bump start it, and you shouldn't do that with cats either - unburnt fuel, but you may well be decatted and manual!

Never heard about problems jump starting knackering a battery, that's what the nice man from the AA would do for you!!  Just make sure you get the leads the correct way round:shocked:.

I'm not really all that bothered, to be honest.......insurance will pay up and I'm leaving it over here for months at a time soon anyway.

If anyone wants a free Supra, go to the following car park:

Retail Park

Ransome's Europark

Ipswich

Suffolk

Couldn't give a stuff about cars now.  Load of old arse, aren't they.

Guest Martin F

SOS..............Save Our Supra's

Or in Flips case his Supe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flip i really think you should get that car back to safety.  I am a little way from Ipswich but if you want somebody to give you a hand let us know.

I'm buggered if I'd leave my car in a car park overnight!

Just to let you know, as I work with cars/electrics/alarms etc. Jump starting a car is not the thing to do by far because it will give a massive power surge through your electrical system. But sometimes it is necessary.

To be as safe as possible, do as many of the following as you can.

1 get good thick jump leads with strong croc clips preferably with surge protectors built in.

2 make sure your ignition is off, your doors are shut and you have your keys OUT of the car.

3 attatch both leads to your battery, (MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT TOUCH!), then connect both leads to the car with the good battery with the engine OFF.

4 start the other car, and hold the revs at about 1500-2000 revs.

5 if your battery is really flat, wait for about 5 minutes before trying to start your car.

6 start car then disconnect leads asap. (Being careful not to short out the leads on anything.)

Jumpstarting is unhealthy to any processors you have in the car. Nearly all alarms have processors built in now, and the mkiv Supra has loads that control..... Everything!

If you are unlucky enough to have locked up a processor after this, (something not working correctly), try disconnecting one of the battery terminals for a couple of minutes. Most processors will reset and be ok.

Good Luck!

Thanks Matt.

I'll take the risk of someone hurting the car in the car park over frying the electrics, especially as I don't know anyone with jump leads.  I thought they did say it for a reason.

Do you know why a bump start isn't advised by Clifford either?  They just said you shouldn't, didn't explain why.

I'm pretty nervous thinking about something else anyway right now.

Thanks for everyones help.

It's all to do with processors again.

With either bumping or Jumpstarting, you can dramaticly change the the processors operating voltage/speed.

When you have a flat battery, generally, your battery will be sitting at around 10~11 volts or less. When you bump or jump the car, as soon as the car starts or has those leads connected the voltage does a massive surge upwards to around 14.4 in a fraction of a second.

The processors can see this as an "error" and shut down. Worse still, but rare, fry.

The same cure still applies. Disconnect one battery terminal for a couple of minutes, waiting for the processors to reset/stabilise then reconnect as "cleanly" as possible - You don't want too many sparks when the terminals are reconnected. Keep doors shut, ignition off and keys out of the car. (Some alarms will go straight into armed mode and lock the doors on reset!)

So by now you are  out  with your  lady and  the Supra is the  last thing  on your mind. If the car  is still there  when you read this it may  help.  

A battery that is low will not really  show up in summer  unless it is completely fcuked. In winter it does not take much to push it over the edge.

Your battery may be OK, you have just flattened it.

At  this time  of year  it  is a very good idea  to leave the engine  running for at least  30 seconds with every thing electrical turned off. This will give the battery a boost that may provided you with just enough to get  you started. Those little batteries seem way to small for a car like the Supra, it is the same size as the one  in my little Micra. If you have to replace it I would go for a bigger HD battery. You may need a new battery bracket though. My  HD battery is guaranteed as  long  as  I own the car, worth every penny.

I hope  you had a good  night.

Matt, have you actually seen any damage caused by a jump start or from starting a car with just a low battery?

What is the difference to a cars circuits if they are being powered by a directly connected battery (normal situation), or a directly connected battery with in another battery/generator in parallel (being jump-started).  Wouldn't the batteries act to supress any surges?

Equally most electronics are, I understand, 5v.  This 5v being provided by regulators etc to deliver a smooth supply, so they shouldn't see any difference there providing the source V is within tolerences.

Why don't the electronics all blow when you turn on the ignition or attach a battery?  That is a surge from 0v to 12-14v?

Just trying to get my head around the problems.

My  battery is a 500 amp, not  the  biggest  by any means, my friend who enters sound off competitions has  1000 amp  in his  Cosworth. My  Cossie has  590 amp unit. The  small Supra battery may  be as low as  270 amp but  I am not  100% certain. In the  winter with a combination of  short low rev  runs , heater, lights  screen heater and  wipers the  little one  is not  going  to last  too long  with out  additional charging.  

I remember a guy who got eleven years out of one battery. He checked the level once a week and gave it a charge from a charger once a month in summer and once a fortnight in winter.  He probably washed his oil filters  out  and  reused those as well.  

My father  did  some  research  about  20 years  ago and  designed  a 25 year  plus  car  battery, but  it  did  not  make  economic sense  at  the  time. The project was bought out by one of the major  battery  manufactures and  killed off. He  also design and  ever lasting light bulb, but  the  same thing  happened to that, bought  out  by a manufacturer  who stood  to loose millions.

I cant remember where my battery it came from, but it is a  widely  available SAMSON, guaranteed for  as  long as  you own the  car, which is great  for me  as  I tend to run my cars  into the  ground and  that takes  more than the  usual two or three years given on most  guarantees. I guess that’s it how they do it because most people don’t keep cars for very long, so they won’t have to pay up.