The mkiv Supra Owners Club

pump & grind

dil

when i start my car up, still stationary the steering is heavy when turned slightly left or right and then becomes very light as i turn more as if the pumps woken up, if turn the steering wheel to the right about a quarter turn it feels like its being stopped by something, then i give it some pull , then it all goes light again , i drive around for a bit, theres absolutely no probs everything bahaving normally, park the car up, come back to it and start the process over again, any body got any ideas whats going on.

p.s Merry xmas all

i've checked the fluid its just slightly above the max line(is that o.k.), what colour should it be? the problems only really started recently,(although it has made a metallic noise on startup in the mornings, but then this disappears with a few 45 degree turns of the steering wheel)  and yes this only happens from cold, or if i've left the car parked up for a bit after a drive, the last thing i want to happen in this weather is the pump going and leaving me stranded 8-(

any ideas? is the pump on its last leg, is it not receiving some sort of signal to come alive when the car has started or is it just time for a fluid change

That'll be me and my TT. I changed my Fan Belt as I thought it could be related...but I think a replacement pump is on the cards.

The only other thing to try is replacing the fluid and adding a one of those steering system conditioners/sealants

There is a product called Forte (look for "forte lubricants" on the web) which was recommended to me.

Yeah mine is an NA, is a power steering pump gonna be xpensive to buy & replace , or can it be replaced d.i.y, do you reckon i can keep driving around like this cos it's only hassel at startup or am i going to end up nackering something else in the process, + the cars only done 30k, should the pump be going so soon?

cheers

No it wasn't Alex, it was me. My car has done this always within my ownership, in cold weather I should add.

For well over 18 months have I experienced this with no ill effects.

The only problem is that a few N/A owners are reporting this, but non of us have a clue what the cause is.

I think not that it is a bad thing, but somebody please tell what the problem is to us.

This e-mail is best read whilst adopting a Yoda style voice.