The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC

Matt Harwood

I am posting this for myself and any others considering getting/fitting the RLTC system in the near future.

Do you need to have a laptop for this to work/setup correctly?

Once programmed, will it lose its settings if the battery is disconnected?

What is the "Field connector"?

Are there any Supra mk4 specific installation wiring diagrams available?

Is the ABS ECU the one right behind the radio almost by the bulkhead? (I assume it's not the white plastic one with "ABS" moulded on the top that usually mounts on top of the radio.)

I think that's it for now and a few of these may answer themselves when I actually get the system in my hands...

Thanks.

Q-Do you need to have a laptop for this to work/setup correctly?

A-You should get a data file that will work! preinstalled when you get the kit.

But as you will have read, this is very basic and does not actually match the supra exactly. In some cases it does not work at all.  You do need a lap top if you want the  system to work well for  your particular driving style and wheel set up.

I am sure we could sort out a SET UP RLTC meet for anyone who does not have a lap top, several of us have some pretty good data files ready to down load.  With Graham Rudd’s program it takes about 30 seconds to load.

Q-Once programmed, will it lose its settings if the battery is disconnected?

A-Never been a problem, the unit  comes with a file  installed  which survived the shelf storage and postage etc.

Q-What is the "Field connector"?

A- It is a bridge connector that connects to the ECU and Loom, it  enables  most  ECU mod  connection to be  made  out  of the  car  and  in realtive  comfort. Basically  a plug in loom extension. Not essential but makes life easier.

Q- Are there any Supra mk4 specific installation wiring diagrams available?

A-All the  diagrams you need are in the booklet or one the supplementary sheets supplied. I still have mine, so copies available for UK and Jap spec.

Q-Is the ABS ECU the one right behind the radio almost by the bulkhead? (I assume it's not the white plastic one with "ABS" moulded on the top that usually mounts on top of the radio.)

A-Yes, and an absolute bastard to make connections to, ask Martin .

(Edited by Phil Wall at 3:27 pm on Jan. 1, 2002)

Quote: from Matt Harwood on 4:20 pm on Jan. 1, 2002[br]Reading your info sheets, you were impressed with the default setup. How much difference has it made now that you have "tuned" it?

You are right I was impressed, but that was because I was comparing it to the stock system.  The basic file supplied by RL gave much better control of the car.  I used those settings for some months until Graham wrote his app.

Now it is even better, since we got the pulse count right and altered some of the % slip figures, system gives better control on bends and fast tight exits.  I am still experimenting.  I want  to analyse some recorded files to enable even more fine tuning. It is –6 degrees here right now so just off out to record some slides in a frozen car park down the road.

I am sure you will be impressed by the standard file it give much better control than stock TC, but we can improve on that.

£480 used to be the "group buy" price,

Racelogic put the prices up a while back and

I cant even get them at that price now with trade

discount and bulk purchase discount   8-(

I also joined in the 300 club group buy and got mine for £480,

just a few days before I was about to pay £1050 for one !!!!!!!

Talk about good timing....ROFL.

Quote: from Ring Master on 7:01 pm on Jan. 2, 2002[br]

£480 used to be the "group buy" price,

Racelogic put the prices up a while back and

I cant even get them at that price now with trade

discount and bulk purchase discount   8-(

Very interesting, are RL bucking the trend. I thought prices on stuff like this like this went down over time. Anyone know when this product was introduced? I think my original Supra data file, that did not work, was dated 1998! Some of the program files are 93-94. So the original design work must have been done at least 10 years ago.

Is it a new improved version with files that actually work in the car or could it just be all the recent interest in their product?

Should we have all RLTC discussion off list in future to get the price back down?

If anyone gets a system in the new group by, please e-mail me your “standard dat” file I would like to see what RL are now bunging out for the Supra.

If you end up with a file which is as inappropriate as some files previous sent out by RL, don’t worry we have much better dats for you to use.  I don’t feel inclined to inform RL of the new improved Supra dat file, especially if they are hiking prices for the same old stuff, if you have problems with your standard dat e-mail me, I’ll send you one that works.  All disclaimers apply,  used at your own risk etc, etc.