The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Accelerator pedal fighting back?

Matt Harwood

I've had the throttle try to stop me from opening it but I can't remember why now. Having said that its never tried to close whilst it is open....

I think the best idea for you is for you to re-test and see if it happens again and try to note the RPM and speed.

Did you get any warning lights??

Whenever I floor it I get a strange sensation of my foot being forced back... Oh yeah they call that acceleration :)

I can't even think of a way the pedal could actually provide any kind of feedback. Sure there's nothing behind it? One of my hairest moments was when under braking a cd case went from the passager seat into the drivers foot well and under the brake pedal. All in a nice perfect never to be repeated motion.

I think the most likely problem must be that you'd trapped your pet cat in the car and it had curled up in the drivers foot well behind the pedals. Was there a loud "meowwww!" when you slammed the throttle down as well? :biggrin:

It's definately there!

Under the pedal, right at the bottom where it goes into the floor, I have a round piston type of thing with about 1" of movement.

I can't say when it'll do it but every now and again if my foot is right on the floor, it wil push up a little. Could it be linked to the standard TC system? Anything to do with auto transmission?

Hmm maybe I was off with the cat thing... Well when you're right 1% of the time your wrong the other 99% ;)

Assuming it's an auto it could be a kickdown switch, would be strange if it was there on a manual ;)

This does actually provide a small amount of feedback, but it's been barely noticable on both my autos. Don't some nitrous systems have a microswitch beneath them?

It's either factory fitted or someones done a bloody good job of making it look that way.

Can someone do me a favour and check their auto? - Just put your hand down under the throttle and see if you have round plastic plunger type thing on the floor at carpet level. It pushes about 1". (Mine seems to push back! :o )

It doesn't do it all the time. First time I noticed it was yesterday, had the throttle pushed hard to the floor for about 10 seconds or so and it pushed up after about 5 seconds. No loss of power that I noticed, the car still carried on accelerating. - I've tried to do it again today several times and it's only pushed back twice.

As far as I'm aware, I have no ghosts or pets inside, only the wife today but she only shouts when I drive too fast. :)

What you describe is the auto Kickdown switch.

Plastic -  Black - about 1.5 inches in diameter - with two half inch long raised lugs. It moves about half an inch up and down.

It does offer some resistance and you have to keep you foot firmly  pushed down on it, if you ease of slightly it could give the impression of pushing back.

I hope the  roads  will be dry, as you will be  at WOT when the  Kickdown operates, the  sudden increase in torque can snap the back end  round on the  auto. Most of my sideways manoeuvres where  caused by inappropriate use of Kickdown on damp roads when I first got the car.  No problem now I have an alternative  TC system.

Tell me about it! - I found that out within the first few days of ownership. Bit fierce isn't it :)

I'm working on the RLTC thing. If you don't mind I think I'll be in touch about the correct settings as soon as it's in.

I'll let you know tomorrow if it's me backing off. If it's not...  Dunno what to do really! Leave it I suppose. :confused:

Well, tested again today.

It definately pushes back. With my foot to the floor from 50 ish, it pushed back at 120 twice in succession. Again, no loss of power or acceleration and it can be pushed back down again straight after.

I'm not too worried as it doesn't seem to affect anything. I was just curious as to why it did it. Not that it's a major concern as that sort of speed is rarely required.

Strange. Mine's the only car to do this then?

Matt

In my somewhat limited experience all autos with kickdown do it, you just don't normally feel it!

If you think about it, the kickdown "switch" must return to its original place once it has been pressed so it fights with your foot until you lift it off!  You must just have a new spring or a unused kickdown!

Mine however is very soft  :biggrin:

Try different shoes - it sounds silly but with boots I can't feel it at all but in bare feet it feels like a stone under the pedal!

Try putting your foot under the pedal as your are parked up.  You can actually press the button down with your foot without using the pedal at all.

I have tried this whilst moving and it does nothing at all so it obviously only works in conjunction with the Pedal itself!

Cheers