The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alloy Repair

FaithStalker

For some wierd reason, my rear alloys have got some kind of

corrosion on them, not rust though,

it looked like brake dust, but has removed what i think is the top

lacquer and the silvery finish as well, and left the alloy

"rough" about 1inch diameter 3 times appx on each alloy !!

question is, for now, i dont want to get them refurbed for 150quid

an alloy, i just want to mask them for a while (not perfect just

enough).

What do I need to do - I know Halfords do an "alloy wheel" repair kit,

but surley all i have to do is

a) sand down rough bit

b) cover everything except the mark

c) spray on silver-like colouring and let dry

d) spray on some form of clear lacquer

anyone else done this before?

got any hints and tips?

heres the alloys that i have on

http://www.japanese-car-imports.co.uk/images/others/suprainfo/18alloys.jpg

cheers

(Edited by ajefford at 11:14 am on Jan. 8, 2002)

Quote: from Mark Ayling on 1:20 pm on Jan. 8, 2002[br]I was pointed in the direction of a company called Lepsons in Gillingham, apparently its £50 per wheel and they are supposed to be very good...

Do they collect Mark or do have too drop them off?

We really should get a deal going with a company somewhere which includes collection.

150 quid was from somewhere in the board a while back,

some professional company , you have to send them off,

they send them back refurbed, 150quid was EACH

inc vat and delivery

if anyone has a "local" that does it cheaper and

while U wait - PLEASE send me the details also,

as i would want someone else other than me to

mess around with paint etc.

Hey Gavin,

thanks for the offer of the wheels,

will be a bit strange with 18"ers on the front and 16"ers on the back

:)

prstine wheels is where i got the quote (well it was through

my local garage!) they wanted appx 150 all in.

(im in aylesbury until end of jan - then peterborough)

maybe i'll try a few more local garages and see what they do,

although you never know if there any good until theve

done your wheels !!!

I've used Lepsons in Gillingham. I can't sing thier praises high enough.

I also have a Capri, (No laughing), and I got hold of a set of 7.5" RS alloys. (Genuine rocking horse poo!). These wheels had been left outside in a field for about 7 years. They looked disgusting. Whenever you picked one up, it left a grey/green powder on your hands.

Anyway, I took them to Lepsons and the chap kept repeating how pitted they were and that he couldn't guarantee how they would finnish. I got the impresion he didn't really want to do them.

I collected them 3 days later and I was SOOOOO impressed.

I had a set of 5, they had acid dipped, sand blasted, painted the centre spokes and inside rims, polished the outer rims and laquered the entire wheel. - One wheel had been badly kirbed. They welded some new alloy in its place and you could barely see the join.

Total cost including refitting tyres  £204 inc vat - They looked, and still do, brand new.

When I first enquired, they quoted me £35+vat per wheel. For what they had done, I could'nt have been more impressed.

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Matt Harwood on 6:53 pm on Jan. 8, 2002[br]I've used Lepsons in Gillingham. I can't sing thier praises high enough.

I also have a Capri, (No laughing).....No laughing here from a fellow Capri owner.

and I got hold of a set of 7.5" RS alloys. (Genuine rocking horse poo!)... your right worth a mint.  

Don't want an X-pack Capri to go with those X-pack wheels by any chance ?

Just a word of caution - a mate of mine had the alloy wheels refurbed on her Mk2 Golf GTi.  When they came back, the centre caps were missing, and she soon found out why - £35 *each* from a dealer, and unobtainable anywhere else.  The wheel place refused to admit the caps were ever on there, so she had to shell out in the end :(

Get a note made on the receipt of any removable items so there's no arguments!

I would like to say that Pristine did a damn fine job on my 17" alloys.

they're better than Spit N'Polish.   Eric Kasir had his 17" SpitNPolished and i had mine Pristined and i have to say that mine came up quite a bit better than his.   Mine were a bit more expensive but happy to pay.  (all in mine were £300 incl.VAT and wheel repair etc.)

take a look at member 16 in the members area.   there's a piccie of a rear wheel i think.

Quote: from Doughie on 10:46 pm on Jan. 8, 2002[br]they're better than Spit N'Polish.   Eric Kasir had his 17" SpitNPolished and i had mine Pristined and i have to say that mine came up quite a bit better than his.   Mine were a bit more expensive but happy to pay.  (all in mine were £300 incl.VAT and wheel repair etc.)

LOL - Yep, I remember that one mate - how does it go - "Eric, I've just booked my alloys to be done at Spit & Polish - you should get yourself down there as well mate, seen as yours are a right state as well....."

Promptly book my car in to S&P, and have them done before Doughie - who comes to inspect the handy work afterwards, then has a sneaky look at Deans who was done at Pristine - declares Pristine is MUCH nicer, and buggers off there to get his done - git!!! :)

Just wait till I stitch you up with that Griffith you're thinking about.... hahahahaha

Baron von K

Guest Martin F
Quote: from GavinL on 8:50 am on Jan. 9, 2002[br]
Quote: from Eric Kasir on 11:47 pm on Jan. 8, 2002[br]
Quote:

Just wait till I stitch you up with that Griffith you're thinking about.... hahahahaha

Baron von K

Already done...spill the beans Stu!

Did he make the AA man an offer he couldn't refuse ?

Alloy wheel refurb.  I can get them done for £100 a set including VAT.

I have many alloys done now and even my current 18" wheels were refurbed and painted.  Basically they repair the wheel and then repaint and lacquer.

I got charged 80 quid for my Andy Rouse Cossie alloys and they are half polished and half painted white.  They are based in Sheffield and their tel number is 07884 481904.

Martin