The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pnuematic suspension

Syed Shah

I have seen these, and they look cool, as you can raise the car, or lower it as you please, from in-car.

Now I know that hydraulic suspension does this, yet makes the handling c**p, does pneumatic suspension do this as well?

What other things need to be taken into consideration?

Thanks in advance

Similar to the Austin Allegro system I believe ;)

Seriously though, you might get more luck on one of the american lists with this one; I think the main use for such suspension is the "dancing cars" thing though :(

What are you hoping for?  Stiff suspension but good ride on the straights?

Simply, to be able to have a car that lowers itself at high speeds, and can be raised in-car for ramps etc.

The problem with the hydraulic suspension kits is they ruin handling :(

But i do not think that this is a problem with pnematic suspension.

So has anyone ever had this on any car, and if so, what was it like?

Syed,

Do you just wish to be able to adust the ride height on the fly...I remember recently seeing a Civic with hydraulic suspension that could be lowered onto the floor and raised to beyond a stock level. I'll see if I still have that article and I'll let you know if there are any good contacts.

Its certainly the way to go and the french seem to be very hot on doing it.

I assume that the UK's bizarre love of speed humps and lowered cars are behind your needs. Personally I wouldn't have it speed sensitive as the car will then look crap whilst driving through town and whilst stuck in traffic. It would be best to just have a few (4?) preset positions. These could be

1. Service / Road Hump (jack it right up for ease of access)

2. C/B Road

3. A Road / Motorway

4. Track

The problem you've got is maintaining a decent ride and handling at the different ride heights.....and that when the hole system gets very very very expensive.

But like I say I'll see if I can find the article and see what it entailes...but like I say I think your looking at mega money to sort it out and upgrade the handling or at least not deteriorate it!

Whilst not admitting that i buy Fast Car, Max Power etc many of your Nova/Saxo boys are getting into this. It's like a thick rubber ball that can be inflated and deflated at will to alter ride height. I can't imagine what it would to to the Supras suspension set-up though.

Before CW says it though, toyota didn't spend hundreds of hours designing the MKIV for you to just bung in some half-arsed inflatable suspension system.

I think the key point is that the factory fit systems are designed in conjunction with th supsension, and many hundreds of hours are put into making sure that the car will handle well regardless of what ride height they are set upo.  Think of how many variables will change in the suspension geometry, and how much extra compliance (which the original suspension designers did not account for) will be in the system.  

I'm not saying it will be impossible to get it to work fairly well, but I would imagine it will be very difficult.  Even more so if you want it work REALLY well!

I guess Chris Wilson is your man for suspension issues, but I have a funny feeling that I know what he's going to say :)

Christ - how negative does everyone want to be!!!

Come on guys lets not shoot ideas down before we have fully investigated them.

I'm sure Syed knows that it won't be easy and it is likely to be very expensive but hey he could have one the lottery for all we know...as this is a forum for discussion of idea's lets use it to gain knowledge about different ways to get the best out of our cars.

TOYOTA AND EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER IN THE WORLD BUILDS THEIR CARS TO A COST. THEY DO NOT MAKE PERFECT CARS.....

WE DO!! :)

Oh and manufacturers get it wrong some times look at the Ford empire and the Mk1 Mondeo, how quickly did they have to roll out an upgraded version??!!!

I too wanted this for my MKIII as you could not even get a mobile phone under the front bumper, when broke down like I did it wa a real problem getting the car home.  At Max live I met the lads at MAX hydraulics,  they made a KIT for the MKIII Supra after I was interested.  They can make kits or any car and the price at bad.  You can have like just up and down like the Range Rover Etc or the mental american gangster style.

www.maxhydraulics.com

phone 01886 833253

mobile 07771 628319