The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Undercealing

Lee Hockley

As I understand it all J-spec cars have differing levels of undersealing, most of which are not up to the same standards as those sold in the European markets. Some owners opt to spend about £150 having a third party add a full UK style underbody treatment. This has in turn lead to the myth that all J-spec cars need a full underseal to protect them from the UK weather and salt on the roads in winter.

I think the general consensus is that the level of underseal on the J-spec Supra is adequate for UK use "as-is".

Interesting point: an importer (not JIC) told me that is I wanted them to underseal my car they would need to let it stand indoors at circa 20degreesC for a couple of days to dry out, otherwise the underseal might actually trap any existing moisture in.

I was a little concerned about this issue when I bought the car, but looking at the underside it appeared to have a good level of protection.

To be on the safe side, I have regularly checked the underside of my car after each under body pressure wash, (once a week in this weather) so far there are no signs of any problems.  I did find some under seal missing (about the size of a 50p piece from the bottom of the off side rear arch, after I first got the car.  Probably caused by a big piece of debris hitting the inner arch.  There was no sign of rust, as a temporary measure I used Finnigans?? under seal, I warmed the area with a fan heater for about half an hour to make sure it was dry.  18 months later it looks fine.

I think rust is more likely round the bottom of the rear window than under the car.

Andy's car was imported new from Japan and has done all its miles in UK roads, I don’t think his car had any additional treatment.  I have not seen any signs of lower body corrosion on his car.

If cars built for Japan in 1993 are still showing no signs of rust on our UK roads, then Toyota must have done a reasonable job of sealing all the right places.  I have not read any posts about MKIV's and  rust apart from the tailgate problem on a few cars.

The most important thing on any car it to ensure you do not get a build up of debris on ledges and in crevices.  These will hold moisture and salt and provide the ideal conditions to encourage corrosion.

I wish the rust protection on my Ford was a good as the Supra, built for  UK and  needed new rear arches after five years despite regular under-body  pressure washes.

(Edited by Phil Wall at 9:00 am on Jan. 12, 2002)

Is it possible to get some sort of right-angle attachment for a pressure washer?  I've got one, but mines got a two foot rigid lance (oo-errr) on it, so you can't angle it to point up at the bottom of the car because there's not enough ground clearance.  Same goes for wheel arches - the wheel itself gets in the way so you can only do half a job.

I have one of the oldest TTs (very low chassis number) and it is now 4 years since it was imported into the UK. I have not touched the underseal, and there are no signs of rust under it at all, I had a good look round last time it was up on the ramps for its MOT.

If yours is showing no rusting, I would be tempted not to bother with extra undersealing!

I've just thought about this from the other viewpoint, and that is if you're planning on keeping your car to destruction (ideally meaning old age), then the relative low cost of underseal vs corrosion is probably well worth it.

I think (despite not really needing it) it can't hurt to underseal it. If you plan of selling it in a few years, don't bother.