The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine stalling ... variable value controler to blame ?

Lee Hockley

I have just purchased a 94 TT with a number of performance enhancements, one of which is a Variable Value Controller.

On a number of occasions I have had trouble with engine stalling.  This normally occurs when reaching ... shall we say ... higher speeds.

Firslt the engine stalls leaving no power from the accelerator until the warning lights deactivate.  The main warning light comes on to show the engine light on the right light cluster.

At the moment I am thinking that it could be the VVC overboosting, but I am not mechanical minded.

Anybody have this problem or know what it could be ?  Thanks for your help in advance.

Do you mean a boost controller?  If so, how long is the engine "stalling" for, and does it restart itself automatically?

If the ECU detects overboost (over 14psi IIRC) then it cuts fuel to the engine, flashes the engine light, and scares the crap out of the driver!

If you have a boost gauge fitted, what is it reading?  If you don't . . . GET ONE!  It's important to know how much boost you're running if you going over stock levels, serious engine damage can result if you get too enthusiastic.

Perhaps you could post a full list of mods to your car?  It would make it easier to figure out what's wrong.

Yes the boost controller.

And yes ... it scared the crap out of me !!

There is a boost gauge but not taken a reading just yet.  I am a little nervous in re-creating the event to take the reading after your note that engine damage can be caused !

I am not totally sure of all upgrades as some are not typically visible, so I plan to pop down to TDI in Barking to ask them to examine and test the machine.

Thanks for the information ! I'll pass that onto the dealer.

Last night I pressed the ALT button which swiched from what looked like a High setting to a Low one.

I also turned the analoge dial anti-clockwise half way from what looks like MAX.

Can I assume that I have turned down the boost ?

Well the good news is that the stalling has stopped and at one point it beeped at me to (I can only guess) to slow down the pressure build up.

The dial I have is in Bar not psi, but someonew tells me that 1 bar is 14 psi ... is this correct.

But this is the best part ... this car is no " Monster " anymore ... it is now a " Winged Angel of Death ".

This this should be in space !

Cheers guys ... i was thinking of popping to TDI in Barking after the meet on Saturday to book it in for a dyno test and to ask them to look to determine the current upgrades.

Once I get that sorted I can plan the next series of upgrades, which will include a FCD.

Hopefully they will have an operations manual for this BC ... unless there is an online manual anybody knows about ?

O dear !

It seams to me that purhaps I should have left the unit alone.  Well at least it has stopped overboosting (someone may have changed the settings, not knowing the consequences, during transit).

I think this will have to be left for someone who is not a muppet at these sort of things like I am.

Well I am off to TDI so I can imagine they would set the device for me.

Cheers again guys !