The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why buy an N/A over a TT?

Guest ims3ola

So you don't want a TT because turbos don't last forever (even though TT's are very reliable until you push them too far!), but you wan't to make an NA-T

instead - with those unreliable nasty turbo things plus lots of non oem fun which is rather unlikely to add to the overall reliability is it lol...

:yeahthat:

After a very short period of time, I found I got used to the performance of my TT and modified it to BPU etc. I then got used to that and swapped the tubbys out for a single. Goodness knows how bored I would have been with an N/A. As someone said before, the N/A is the Boxster of the Supra world. It has the badge but not the performance :p

:yeahthat:

We bought an N/A in the end because of the "too powerful RWD" bit

(the TT is NOT very nice in very slippery weather)

and like-for-like conditionwise the N/A was ~£5,000 TT's were ~£8,500.

On the one hand i DO miss the power of the turbos, but i DON'T miss

the "knife-edge" feeling on a wet roundabout.

BUT, the big difference is in how you're MAINLY gonna drive it ??

The N/A is only sort-of level with Imprezas and the like,

whereas the TT is almost Supercar in performance (REALLY).

If you can't stand the thought of being 'down' amongst the mere mortals

then you really should try to go TT.

The RUNNING costs of my old TT were VERY VERY similar

(just a TAD thirstier, but not much....honest)

BUT, the N/A is not as likely to BLOW UP (mostly a problem when one

FIDDLES with the TT ! ! !)

FatS.

Ignore that last post, that was from one of the mere mortals lol ;)

If you go for TT, unless you are very discaplined you WILL spend lots of moeny on it. i personally wouldnt buy an na cause i would always know in not a tt. However im also not a fan of imports even though there is pretty much next to no diff.

Edit:Corrected due to too much to drink!

It's true to say you do get used to the performance of any car after a while, I wanted my standard TT BPU'd quite quickly after getting it and of course I'd probably like to stick a single on there - except the cost of this makes it a much more significant choice to make. Going to BPU levels on a TT is like taking candy from a baby :D I wouldn't have been happy with an N/A at all, performance wise.

At this level it's not far from twice as powerful as an N/A and something that can keep you happy for a long time - sure you will want more but to be honest on the road I find it hard to use the power I have let alone a big single (except when going straight ahead on a long stretch...) The biggest limitation now is not power, it's learning to drive it!

So you have to ask yourself how much of a speed freak you are lol. If you think N/A power levels will keep you happy for long enough then go for it, because an N/A is not tuneable like a TT unless you resort to major work like the NA-T conversions...

Handling wise, sure the more powerful the car gets the more you have to respect it, especially at this time of year - but that's still true of any car really. Not really a fault with the car, it comes with the teritory and the onus is on the driver! Like getting a superbike or something, except then it's everyone else you have to watch out for...

So you have to ask yourself how much of a speed freak you are

absolutely agree with this. if you are bothered about how quick it goes then you will soon get used to the power & wish you'd got the quicker one!

Handling wise, sure the more powerful the car gets the more you have to respect it, especially at this time of year - but that's still true of any car really. Not really a fault with the car, it comes with the teritory and the onus is on the driver!

and again, it's very easy to drive the car normally, but very easy to put your foot down & grin for a while. the onus is on you to control the beast within!