The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sound Deadening....

MRX

I know there has been a thread or 2 on this in the past, but is anyone currently selling the sound deadening sheets? not really after the expensive stuff like dynamat as I know there is stuff out there that is just as good at half the price. Or if someone can point me at a reliable source it would be much appreciated...

Cheers

I did this with great success. The Supra suffers from tyre noise from

Rear quarters

doors

boot floor

Noise is like water, even the smallest holes let loads in.

Deadening the outer panels will help some but not loads, worth doing even so. Dynamat peels off in cold weather IMO and I have used loads of it.

For a better deadmat try using http://www.bjacoustics.sageweb.co.uk/

Noise Killer barrier mats are the bizz, dont crack as easy and stick much better in all weathers and cheaper!. Its like a heavy duty version of extreme dynamat.

Over the rear wheels arches use NOISEKILLER LEAD SANDWICH, its superb in this application. Also stuff with area with the foam Bob has listed above. Then cut a piece of the sandwich to fit under the boot carpet (leave it slightly big and then trim in place.

Now the most tricky and crucial bit. SEAL the rear quarters and inner door skins. The best product for this is AutoChem Autoflex dead mats. Dirt cheap from your motor factors, buy the large size box. It must be used in the heat,

so keep it in the hot press and only use in a heated garage. You will need a heat gun and big scissors to do this. Mould the sheets over the area cutting out the areas for speakers, door handles, etc. Where the seat belt passes through all you need to do is make a slot and leave some backing on it to aviod any sticking. Small areas that are very awkard you can do with double layers of gaffa tape.

After this, you car should be like a luxury saloon as far as tyre noise goes, but with the added benifit of clearly hearing your engine and exhaust noise which sounds 100% better when the job is complete.

I have performed this on many cars, every time well worth while. However, if you insist on using noisey tyres like Pirelli p6000 or 7000, you are limiting the success greatly. Some quiet preformers are Bridgestone RE050a, Yoko AVS db, Michelin pilot PS2 or Primacy.

Good luck, once you have done it once its a breeze lol. :ecstatic:

whatever you do, dont try and remove the rear quarters without removing the back seat, its tempting to try but you'll regret it.

Remember what you are trying to do is isolate the cockpit from the exterior.

On the subject of removing the back seat I may have a problem. There is a pully/Pin type thing that is in the middle of the seat which I guess should allow the seat to be removed once pulled, but mine seems to have become disconnected internally and does nothing... Is there a way of removing the back seat if this is broken...?

Edit: Going to move this query to Technical forum as I have gone off subject here....

Started operation 'Sound Deadening' this morning... Not easy with a banging hang over :friday: The skanky mess of dust and gooey stuff in the bottom of the boot and under the seats is real nasty... :eek: will post pics later...

If you do go for Dynamat, go for the EXtreme. The standard stuff is shite and really needs to be applied with a heat gun to stick properly.

If you need some Dynamat Extreme a bit cheaper than over her, try http://www.carmedia1.com - I used them for a group buy ages ago on celica-club, and the service is pretty good. Either that or http://www.indoaudio.com may be of some use - my group buy with them over on CCUK ended up costing £85 each delivered for bulk packs! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.