The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which intercooler to go for?

Registered Nutter

My Sup is going to go away for some more work to be done on it and was wondering what intercooler i should go for bearing in mind that i will probably not ever be going for big twins (or at least i keep telling myself that). But i do want to push the hybrids as far as they can take me.

This is my current spec:

Hybrid Turbos

HKS Super Dragger Exhaust

Intercooler Hard Pipes

High flow front pipe

Blitz SUS Power Induction

Blitz BOV

Racelogic adjustable traction control and launch control

18" Blitz Z2 wheels

Eibach Springs

Bomex Sideskirts and Front Lip

Big Brembo cross-drilled 356mm brakes

Top Speed Delimiter

Upper Glovebox/airbag Pannel Housing

EVC-4 Electronic boost controller with Scramble Boost Button

Oil Pressure Guage

Boost Guage

Exhaust Gas Temperature Guage

Hi...

I reckon the "S" type would be fine. I know that I am not going big twins or single because of lag so an easy decision for me However if you are in any doubt go for the "R" type.

I'm sure that if you should make the wrong decision their would be plenty of people on this BBS who would be interested in it secondhand.

Or have a look at the "Intercooler Throughput" thread started by Chris Wilson... looks very promising. You could have an intercooler and rad stacked on top of one another.... very sexy!

I went for an S-Type from Justin, and fitted it myself. I am very happy with the lower EGTs and looks. If I ever went for anything bigger than hybrids the cost of the resulting work would probably be so much that swapping the intercooler for an R-type or bigger would be a drop in the ocean!

Quote: from Registered Nutter on 1:52 pm on Jan. 17, 2002[br]while the car is away she will be having a new fuel pump and oil & water temp guages fitted and should i see any temperatures getting to high she will go back for oil cooler & water injection etc so ill probably go for the s-type.

what sort of boost levels do you think ill be able to run?

I would suggest you are at the point already that an oil cooler would be very desirable. I personally would rather have cooled oil than an oil temp gauge anyday.

As for boost levels, all depends on the Hybrids. They come in different specs from different suppliers you might need to refer to your tuner for that answer.

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 1:50 pm on Jan. 17, 2002[br]R is the top spec rated at upto 800hp I believe.

S upto about 5-600hp.

What happened to the GT spec ?

Quote: from GavinL on 2:05 pm on Jan. 17, 2002

How much did your egt's drop as a matter of interest ?

I guess around 50-100 degrees, although that is not from any scientific measurements, and there are so many other variables such as air temperature, humidity etc so it is difficult to compare like for like.

All I know is my EGT warning used to come on at full throttle in third/top gear before the FMIC, and doing a similar thing with the FMIC fitted I am running 50 degrees or so below the threshold.

Lee

Quote: from Martin F on 2:22 pm on Jan. 17, 2002[br]
Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 1:50 pm on Jan. 17, 2002[br]R is the top spec rated at upto 800hp I believe.

S upto about 5-600hp.

What happened to the GT spec ?

No one asked about that one...."Top rated..." of the two you asked about...

I'll see if I can find out....

Oi Lee I started the Intercooler Throughput thread....Chris mearly filled it with useful information ;)

(Edited by Alex Holdroyd at 3:19 pm on Jan. 17, 2002)

Quote: from Lee Burley on 3:03 pm on Jan. 17, 2002[br]
Quote: from GavinL on 2:05 pm on Jan. 17, 2002

How much did your egt's drop as a matter of interest ?

I guess around 50-100 degrees, although that is not from any scientific measurements, and there are so many other variables such as air temperature, humidity etc so it is difficult to compare like for like.

All I know is my EGT warning used to come on at full throttle in third/top gear before the FMIC, and doing a similar thing with the FMIC fitted I am running 50 degrees or so below the threshold.

Lee

good to know...thanks

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 2:52 pm on Jan. 18, 2002[br]Martin, and all, The GT spec isn't an option as the question was about a car on Hybrids....so I would go for the R spec

but I know Apex'i make intercoolers which are also of an appropriate size.

So why does that make the GT spec or any other larger intercooler a non-option ?

GT type does use a more efficient core; unfortunately

HKS dont do one for the JZA80.

S Type is £750+v   core size 600x301x65

r type is £1385+v   core size 600x302x97

Oh, pipe work on the R type is the lovely mirror polished

stuff that makes my knees go wobbly....

Forget about power ratings, just buy the most expensive

FMIC you can afford (an R type would be a worthwhile mod

on a stock supra).

Guest Martin F

I think what your saying is correct Adam, that additional lag due to a larger intercooler is a bit of a myth.

Yes it's proven that a larger intercooler will add to lag, but the amount is so minimal that you are unlikely to notice anything.

Now if only i can remember where i saw those tests.

It will a little beacuse there is more space in between the compressor and the cylinder to bring up to pressure.

Here's a bit of maths, as I understand it....

3 Litre car - 1.5L air per rev at 1ATM.  At 3000RPM that is 75 litres of air per second 'consumed'.  Adding a few litres of extra space is only going to make a fraction of a second difference to pressurise.

Greddy 3 row I/C is regarded as one of the best in the US, most of the big power Supra's seem to use this. I think thats what Leon has got in his beast.

With regards to going Single or Twins, in my view going the twin HKS route to me seems a bit of a waste of time unless you are drag racing your car, from what I've been told lag is a major problem. Single seems to be better, apparently an Sound Performance SP57 kit will spool quicker than the stock twins in sequential mode and still able to produce huge amounts of power.

Paul

Quote: from Syed Shah on 10:59 pm on Jan. 19, 2002[br]Er..but thats American.

So?

They have much hotter weather to deal with, so they probably are pretty good at cooling the car.

Also an American car holds the 1/4mile record for a Supra....

They do have a different rating for HP but who cares!

Big single is the route I'd rather take.....but possibly mid-twins...and a GReddy, Blitz or HKS intercooler will be supplying the cooling.

Buy the one that you like and can afford. They all work, "pays your money takes your choice"