The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Owners Manual - what are side-lights called?

FaithStalker

Hey all,

My drivers side side-light is not working (the one that comes on

after one click round on the light stalk)

looked in the owners manual - cant figure out what the side-light is

called

is it

headlights(low beam)

headlights(high beam)

front fog lights

parking lights

??

plus can i get the bulb from halfords/anywhere or do they have to be

toyota?

looking at the manual they seem easy to replace?

parking lights, no mention of the fitment and I haven't pulled one out to check.

It should be stamped on it what fitment it is.

Halfords do all the bulbs but they are bog standard quality. Phillips are better quality.

Have you tried www.powerbulbs.com or .co.uk can't remember which.

Aye up, Tony.

If I may be so bold as to quote Pete Betts from his earlier thread:

"The sidelamps are normal bulbs (I had the number at the weekend and have just fogotten it) but you can get these from any motor factor."

As for the handbook terminology, parking lights would be the closest, but a parking light is usually just one sidelight (isn't it?). Anyway, its definitley not any of the others.

>cool, I have a spare pair of blue/white W5W bulbs I'll have to fit >them now.

Yes I had a pair free with my Philips Premium Xenon 9005's. Well one was knackered and you should really replace both at the same time :-)

As a stroke of luck I also checked my sidelights and they were both blown (Heaven knows how long they've been like that!) and hey presto I'd just been given a completely free set with my above purchase. So I was happy!!!

It's a squeeze to get them out but it can be done without removing anything. They're placed into a long stalk which screws into the back of the headlamp. Getting them back was tricker as it took, what seemed like, ages to locate the long stalk back into the headlamp in order to turn the locking plate into the back of headlamp body.

Regards

Pete

well, i attempted to get it out at lunch (ooo errrrr) but couldnt

i remove the air-filter cover (which strangley says 'DENSO' on it)

and then unlocked the twisty-thing, but that was difficult because

it had some wiring attached to it,

then when i removed it, there were 2 kinda like wires leading into

the headlight, - i thought the bulb would have been just attached

to the back of the twistything, but i guess not.

i traced the 2 wires and tried to do something - wiggle - pull etc

but could not get anything else out of the headlamp least of all

the bulb!

looking at the manual - it says these are front fog lights!

The connector I removed was directly in line with the sidelights and at the same level (right at the bottom of the headlamp)

Was grey in colour (aren't they all :-)  )

A single 90degree turn unlocked the plastic clip from the headlamp housing and I pulled this out to reveal a long (5") rectangular shaped piece of plastic at the end of which the bulb was inserted. (about 10mm wide by 5mm deep)

No dangling bits of wire or wire dissappearing into the headlamp.

Remind me on Friday to take a picture of this with my camera if you're still stuck.

I'm assuming all Supras are like this, mines a 95 GZ Auto Aerotop, if that makes a difference.

regards

Pete

Thanks to a torch, and Phil Wall, i discovered that i was removing

the wrong lamp ! doh

as you look at the light cluster, the "side-light" is not one of the

rounded shape lights - its a little "bump" near the front - outside end-

of the cluster.

Now all i do is have to get it out!

Speaking of Denso air-filters - can i get a direct replacement performance air-filter? what sort of a bhp increase would i get?

or would it be just torque?

Guest Martin F

Yes performance air filter elements are available from TRD and also Fensport supply one.

In some ways these are a better bet than the after market induction systems as with the airbox at least you are pulling in cold air from the outside, rather than the hot air from within the enginie bay.

I'm sure they will provide some performance advantage as they seem to be more free flowing than the stock items.

well as I said earlier....

The connector I removed was directly in line with the sidelights (Now you know where they are now :-)  ) and at the same level (right at the bottom of the headlamp)

Was grey in colour (aren't they all :-)  

A single 90degree turn unlocked the plastic clip from the headlamp housing and I pulled this out to reveal a long (5") rectangular shaped piece of plastic at the end of which the bulb was inserted. (about 10mm wide by 5mm deep)

It's tricky/fiddly to get it back in but not impossible. You don't need to remove air filter or battery to do this.

Good luck with your replacement.

Regards

Pete