The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speed Delimiting on an Auto

THOR Racing

Have any of you experience problems with the removal of the speed limiter on your AUTO Supras?

Manuals are O.K. but apparently some AUTOs in NZ are suffering from intermittent or failed SLDs. (This is with my DSC and Greddy units)

It's only on Autos that it happens. I'm checking in the year of manufacture and option fit of their cars.

Anyone ever had the situation where the speed limiter was not defeated whilst they were driving their AUTO?

Thanks

Pete

Hey Pete

I delimited mine successfully with a HKS SLD (for the auto) or so I thought .........

Occasionally the car would play up, ie not going passed the jap limit. When this happened the traction control button would be unresponsive...ie if TC 'off' light was illuminated, hitting the button would have no effect and vice versa if TC was on it wouldn't switch off.

Everything else seemed ok ...the odd 'woolly' gear change here and there.

Anyhoo ...... I went out in the car last weekend (first time since before Xmas)and it was utter shite !!!

TC won't switch off ........ changes slippin like feck  ...... and other nastiness.

I'll try and have a look at it this W/end ....... could just be a crap connection (although they are all soldered/heat shrinked).......but its sooo hard to get motivated when its freezin outside!!

The thing is , the car has always had an intermittent fault........... I originally put it down to a crap MPH conversion......... :(

I've speed delimited my J spec auto with an HKS SLD. Gear changes perfect, definitely delimited, checked on rolling road at 180 mph. Only thing that happens is that over 100 mph, Slip Control off illuminates, immediately goes out if speed drops below 100 mph. Checked wiring, tried another SLD, exactly the same, guess the SLD may turn off the traction control over 100 mph intentionally.

Mark Brown

My J-spec auto's been delimited with the kph-mph converter with no aparent problems at all. I've only had the car up to 155 so far but no problems with trac or other lights. My spoiler drops at around 60, gear changes seem ok, and steering gets heavier with speed.

It was done by Japvillage.com in Horsham. I don't know what make it is but I know it has 5 or 6 wires and it is a small potted unit about 1" square.

One problem I came across intermittantly was that at WOT in third the limiter would come in at around 120mph on the clock, this could be defeated by easing off slightly as you went thru 120MPH or easing off enough to make it change to 4th around 115MPH then back on WOT.

Justin told me the trick when I explained the symptoms to him so I assume it had happened to him too, surprised he ever found the cure to anything by easing off though :biggrin:

Cheers,

Quote: from mark brown on 10:00 pm on Jan. 23, 2002[br]I've speed delimited my J spec auto with an HKS SLD. Gear changes perfect, definitely delimited, checked on rolling road at 180 mph. Only thing that happens is that over 100 mph, Slip Control off illuminates, immediately goes out if speed drops below 100 mph. Checked wiring, tried another SLD, exactly the same, guess the SLD may turn off the traction control over 100 mph intentionally.

Mark Brown

Quote: from mark brown on 10:00 pm on Jan. 23, 2002[br]I've speed delimited my J spec auto with an HKS SLD. Gear changes perfect, definitely delimited, checked on rolling road at 180 mph. Only thing that happens is that over 100 mph, Slip Control off illuminates, immediately goes out if speed drops below 100 mph. Checked wiring, tried another SLD, exactly the same, guess the SLD may turn off the traction control over 100 mph intentionally.

Mark Brown

Thats a feature of the( Auto) HKS SLD ..........it disables TC when it reaches the jap limit (112mph)

The Auto version of the SLD has approx 15 more wires than the manual .........and thats pretty much what they do.

Search for a thread on 'delimiting' and 'breaking 120mph limit' started by Paul Booth for more info