The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turn into the slide?

tbourner

No, what I mean is they say "turn into the slide (which to me means nothing), this is going against your instincts and most people don't know how to do it properly, a skid-pan day is a good idea....... etc etc waffle waffle."

How can they think it's against your instincts to turn 'into the slide'? I'd have thought everyone would share the same instincts to do that anyway?

Unless they're affiliated with the skin-pan centres!!!

if you are sliding sideways then you should countersteer, if you are spinning you should turn into the spin, simple as

Otherwise, what happens is that when the car gains traction again and you are pointing it in the opposite direction, it flicks the car around and you get an opposite lock spin and natural countersteer which you have no control of

No, what I mean is they say "turn into the slide (which to me means nothing), this is going against your instincts and most people don't know how to do it properly, a skid-pan day is a good idea....... etc etc waffle waffle."

How can they think it's against your instincts to turn 'into the slide'? I'd have thought everyone would share the same instincts to do that anyway?

Unless they're affiliated with the skin-pan centres!!!

Apart from those who close their eyes and let go of the steering wheel screaming.

Sorry mate but that is very wrong. The complete opposite is correct. If you are going round a right hand bend and the arse end breaks out you need to turn the steering wheel to the left to bring it back.

I clarified, I read his post as a spin not a slide, I misunderstood his question. I think because where he is quoting from is talking about spins, he is misunderstanding that and taking that to be the case for slides when it isn't

I found this

Yes, it was me. A mile down the road, I shifted gears. The truck started to slide. The front wheels went to the right. I’d been taught to turn into a spin, but in my panic it didn’t make sense. I reacted on logic. As the truck went right, I flung the wheel to the left. Praise God the street was clear as the truck spun in circles down the road before gliding to a safe stop. I knew how to get out of a spin, but turning into the spin seemed foolish. So I relied on my own wisdom. And in that moment, wisdom became foolishness, and foolishness would have been wisdom.

From http://www.re-yourlife.com/reflect/foolishwisdom.htm

Not my normal site.... hon:whistle: est!!!

What your also forgetting (and we are talking about losing control of your car on a road and you want to save it ;) ) is to come off the gas and to gently countersteer otherwise you'll find the car suddenly snapping back on you and into a fishtail.( This is in a rwd car) Most of the time just coming off the gas is enough.

In a fwd car steering into or OUT of the slide provided you have come off the gas will have the same effect. But the most dangerous thing to do when skidding is brake. The tyres have already lost traction and by braking you'll be asking the tyres to do more than they are already (not) coping with.

Nice pics michael. Classic examples of both under and oversteer in them there pics. The really tight bends had some classic understeer and the big bends you showed some great oversteer almost into drifting territory.

Basically rwd cars if you are in a 4 wheel slide you are effectively almost understeering and you need to turn the steering wheel in the direction of the bend you set off in ie if you turned right and the car just slid away turn a bit more right (or at least hold the lock you had originally) and apply more power (that is what goes against instinct) at some point you will provoke the car into oversteer doing this in a RWD car. When the car snaps round you then need to remain on the power (perhaps lift it off a tad) and turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction of the direction you had set off in ie you turned into a right bend with right steering- the back end kicks out so you then steer left to bring the car effectively straight.

In a fwd car if the car 4 wheel slides or front wheel slides you are in classic fwd situation of understeer. The only thing you can do is steer further into the bend and apply more power (again goes against the instinct if you are sliding badly). You can provoke oversteer in light fwd cars like 205's with stiff suspension by radically lifting off the gas with the same lock you had held on firm. Oversteer is something you generally don't get in fwd cars. In icy situations you can actually get the back slide around so this is just a guess but its this I think that "they" are saying is going against the grain normal fwd reaction is to extra steer so when the back goes to steer into it is against the normal reaction.

hmmm. dont take advice from everyone on this forum it seems, even people with over 1,000 posts.

when i first had my car and went over just over the 7k redline(not of the limiter) and warning come on, someone said 'u have probably done loads of damage to your engine,

a simple removal of the spoiler ecu, and sorted.

who should you trust.

What your also forgetting (and we are talking about losing control of your car on a road and you want to save it ;) ) is to come off the gas and to gently countersteer otherwise you'll find the car suddenly snapping back on you and into a fishtail.( This is in a rwd car) Most of the time just coming off the gas is enough.

In a fwd car steering into or OUT of the slide provided you have come off the gas will have the same effect. But the most dangerous thing to do when skidding is brake. The tyres have already lost traction and by braking you'll be asking the tyres to do more than they are already (not) coping with.

Totally yeah that!!!!

Sudden inputs of any kind will upset the balance of the car and that is what causes severe direction changes and dramatic slides

hmmm. dont take advice from everyone on this forum it seems, even people with over 1,000 posts.

when i first had my car and went over just over the 7k redline(not of the limiter) and warning come on, someone said 'u have probably done loads of damage to your engine,

a simple removal of the spoiler ecu, and sorted.

who should you trust.

you referring to me? What I said was right

If you slam the throttle shut on a FWD car you get lift off oversteer as the weight shifts over the front wheels. Apply opposite lock and full throttle and the car will pull out of the slide and you will look cool.

In RWD if you lift off, dont apply too much opposite lock or the back will snap round the other way and you will crash. Hold steady on the pedal and steer into the slide. A good driver will wind down the window at this point and wave to passers by out of the side window.