The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving Tips - Don't want a replay

whitesupratt

wise words guys I always exercise caution in this sort of weather./....you would'nt believe how carefull I actually am....I must piss other road users right off as I drive so slowly ha ha

another little tip....I tend to brake very very early when approaching junctions etc....

1 - to avoid skidding right onto the junction

and

2 - also to let other know behing im slowing down.....if you brake normally as you would on a sunny day....those beghind may also brake at the last minute and slide right up the back of you...so I let em know nice and early to avoid them skidding

It is quite hard in an auto - nearly caught me out this morning - half way round a mini roundabout and the car decides to drop it down a gear :badidea:

It is quite amusing though - other drivers think 'what a cock' - but we cant help it sometimes - RWD and a heavy arse make it like that :blush:

It is quite hard in an auto - nearly caught me out this morning - half way round a mini roundabout and the car decides to drop it down a gear :badidea:

It is quite amusing though - other drivers think 'what a cock' - but we cant help it sometimes - RWD and a heavy arse make it like that :blush:

Word of caution mate....if you have never driven a supra in the winter.....just be very very carefull, if it that back end goes properly there is no stopping it. TRUST ME its hapenned to many of us,

you will find yourself ass pouting in now time

I smacked mine on the first day i picked it up. Never even got home. This was due to bald tyres, slippery road surfaces and first drive in a RWD car...and in June!

Now i take it extremely careful and only use it when i really have to. I envy FWD cars in this weather. They've got it so easy!

I wasnt saying it was DELIBERATE - it has just changed down for no reason (no pressing of throttle at all - just holding it constant until the apex then slowly adding more throttle)...

I used to own a rx-7 a few years ago and that was 100000000 times worse than the supra with the back end coming out in the dry - and not driving it like i stole it.

Like I posted elsewhere on here today, I managed to break traction and spin the Supe from 5mph whilst in manual third. That was without pressing hard!

Auto box? if so, how can you be in 3rd when only doing 5mph?

The box will only be in 2nd at that speed and wont change up into 3rd until you're well over 10mph. (even in manual mode) 2nd gear in the damp is more than capable of spinning the wheels at any speed.

Personally I love these cold temps.

Driving home from work -5deg c at 5am gives you something to think about.

Instant response from those colder intake temps and spinning it up at

80mph+ in a straight line gets your attention.:eek: (but I was pushing it lol)

Never had a moment once tho.(except where it expected it!) You've just got to respect the conditions, don't try and floor it even in a straight line, if in an auto use manual mode more to prevent kickdown be aware of where frost is likely to sit (micro climates) etc.Set the car up for corners by balancing the throttle and at all time try to be smooooth. Progresive on the throttle and brakes. But it does improve your driving, makes you think more about what you're doing.

As I understand it if you have the car in third and switch to manual mode it will stay there until you stop. I put it into third as I slowed for the car park and crawled along without it having changed gear.

I can pull away (slowly) in third and it feels slower than doing the same in second and I don't feel any gear change at all.

Who knows?

Personally I love these cold temps.

Driving home from work -5deg c at 5am gives you something to think about.

Instant response from those colder intake temps and spinning it up at

80mph+ in a straight line gets your attention.:eek: (but I was pushing it lol)

Never had a moment once tho.(except where it expected it!) You've just got to respect the conditions, don't try and floor it even in a straight line, if in an auto use manual mode more to prevent kickdown be aware of where frost is likely to sit (micro climates) etc.Set the car up for corners by balancing the throttle and at all time try to be smooooth. Progresive on the throttle and brakes. But it does improve your driving, makes you think more about what you're doing.

completely agree, definitely increases your concentration.

I've only had the car since June but i haven't had the car do anything it shouldn't.

but then i don't expect to get grip at WOT going round a corner in the damp with 400bhp going through the rears! :shrug:

with smooth acceleration/deceleration in the wet, never had any problems, touch wood. :innocent:

As I understand it if you have the car in third and switch to manual mode it will stay there until you stop. I put it into third as I slowed for the car park and crawled along without it having changed gear.

I can pull away (slowly) in third and it feels slower than doing the same in second and I don't feel any gear change at all.

Who knows?

very odd, im certain that mine will pull away in 2nd from standstill if 3rd's selected in manual mode.

My FTO would only let you pull away in 2nd too, this is to protect the box, same as it wont change down if the revs are too near the redline.

Some real good advice on this thread! :respekt:

I only got my Supe on Saturday and have never driven a RWD car like this before. Obviously when I got it I was all excited and couldn't help putting my foot down.

I almost lost the back end a couple times over the weekend, even in straight lines!

I've waited what seems like an eternity to own this car and you can rest assured I'll be driving very careful over the next few months!

Some real good advice on this thread! :respekt:

I totally agree. I'm coming up to my first winter in the Supe and although I have a Focus aswell doesn't stop me wanting to drive it all the time.

I've had the back end come out on me whilst take a mini roundabout slowly. Also coming round a particluar corner near me it almost always happens so I just take it really slowly now.

All about common sense really.

Mate, that's not some frozen over lake is it? Is that safe?:looney: :D

LOL :D Nahh...its just a frozen parkinglot nearby where i used to wash my car :)

Oh yeah, is Norway as expensive as some fella said on the Off Topic forum?

I guess you could say that :) BUT..you could also turn it around and say that...for us Norwegians...many other countries are cheap to visit :)

I was in London here a while back....and comparecd to what im used to...food, drink etc. was a bit cheaper than im used to :D

£8 a pint?:faint:

Nah....thats a tad exagerated :D BUT...a 0.5liter beer (in a pub or restaurant) can cost from £3,5 to £6,5 depending on how fashionable the place is :)

Second batch Supra pic 005.jpg