The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Disc Compound

Alex

Hi All,

1. What compound are stock discs made from???

2. What metal are the j-spec/uk spec/brembo and AP Calipers made from?

3. Has anyone heard of a manufacturer for Metal-Matrix Silicone Carbide re-inforced Aluminium Brake Rotors? Or Aluminium Oxide re-inforced Aluminium Rotors?

carbon disks are huge money, plus they won't work til they get up to huge temperatures, which are basically not attainable on the road.

(I think F1 disks are about £10,000 for 4 !  something silly like that)

Gordon Murray tried for a long time to use carbon disks on the McLaren F1 road car (as for one thing it would have helped hugely to meet his weight target for the car) but he gave up in the end and admitted defeat as they just could not get the carbon disks to work well at the sort of disk temperatures that you get on a road car.

as far as metal-matrix disks go, i know that they DID use these on the first Lotus Elises.    They were an aluminium compund i think.    Advantages were lightweight and also the disks ran cooler under duress than steel.    They sourced the disks from somewhere in Scandinavia i think.  (they had problems...... I remember the documentary on "Making the Elise").

However they dropped these disks later on for more conventinal ones.  not sure why.    perhaps cracking problems ?  supply problems ?   cost problems ?

one of the ex-Lotus bods on the BBS should know.

(Edited by Doughie at 2:04 am on Feb. 5, 2002)

Quote: from Eric Kasir on 7:17 am on Feb. 5, 2002[br]How about ceramic, as Porsche and Mercedes are now using??

Go on.....tell me more ;)

It's from the Elise that I formed my question hence why Darren has mailed me about them.

Ceramics were the ones that really appeal as they work from cold - but they really knacker the callipers/pads and fluid as they dump all of their heat into them.

So I want 8pot callipers - titanium/Carbon

15" Ceramic Discs (they last 150,000miles!!!)

Sh*t hot pads.

New brake cooling and resevior system.

And that's just the fronts! :) SWEET!

Hmmm "Dear Santa....."