The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Data Logging with RLTC

Soop Dogg

Got the Race Logic all up and running last weekend.  Well....almost.

The system does the Traction control bit very very well, but the most important bit - data logging - I can't seem to get to work.

I've used the PROCOMM software to enable logging, alter the sample rate and revs divisor etc. but I'm having some problems.  If I try to monitor data whilst the system is running, it only displays what is going on for about 4 or 5 seconds.  Can't get it to any better than that, so I thought I'd try clearing the RAM and downloading after a run. I've used a sampling number of 5 which should give 8mins 56secs of logging, but when I plug the computer in, power up the system and try to upload from the logger, it keeps coming up with 'communications error' whilst downloading.  (The little counter reaches about 2 mins when it falls over)

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Oh, and where's the 'Clear RAM' button they talk about in the instructions...the only way I can see of doing it is via PROCOMM'

Getting fed up now!!:(

Speak to Graham Rudd and Phil Wall.

they are the BBS resident experts with this stuff.

Graham Rudd has written his own Windows-based application for use with the RLTC that is MUCH MUCH nicer and easier to use than the crap DOS-based products from Racelogic.

He has also i believe included data-logging features.    

Last i heard there was one remaining problem with the "Rudd" data-logger.  i'm sure it's been resolved now though.

I myself am interested in doing some data-logging so ....Graham and Phil please can you stand up and let us know the latest on this one.

Graham is the expert  on the sofftwre side, so he will have to let you know how the  app is progressing.  The version I have will let you log live, so you need a passenger to read the  data, but no recording  facility

As for PROCOMM, I hated it but did manage more than two minutes of  logging.  I will have to check it out later and  see how I got it  to work.

The most  important  thing IMO is to ask Graham for his app and fine tune the system to your car.  If you e-mail a copy of your internal dat and the one on the disc, I will check them for you.

Its been a while since I've done any work on the TC App due to a heavy workload at the minute.

However I had a request from someone for a copy of the latest version a couple of days ago so I dug it out last night to check on the current state of progress. This is how it stands:

1. You can view/edit all of the parameters in the RL unit has to offer.

2. The data logging is pretty much finished, by that I mean you can capture data, and watch it being captured in real-time.

3. The data analysis section is working, but I'm not happy with its stability to allow people to run it on their machines just yet, plus it needs some tidying up.

What I propose to do is make a conscientious effort to get it finished, or at least in a good state either this, or next weekend and then maybe put it on a web site for download.

I originally only wanted to give it out via e-mail so that I could keep track of the people who have it so I could let everyone know if I found a nasty bug, or simply to inform people of an upgrade. The trouble with this is that I'm far to busy at the minute to keep mailing it out. It would be very nice to be able to set a site up whereby people can download the software, a selection of DAT files and be able to submit their e-mail address for contact purposes but I've never ever built a web page, looked at HTML, Java or whatever else could be used in the wierd world of web design. :)

Anyway, I promise, I'll try to get it finished very soon!

Graham

Thanks, Graham.  I'll look forward to your finished product.

I can't help thinking though, that this is really the sort of thing that Race Logic themselves should be doing.  They sell this product saying that it is ready to perform Data Logging and, at least in the case of my machine, as far as I can make out, it clearly isn't.  Has everyone else's units behaved in the same way as mine?  It'd be useful to know if mine is faulty or not before contacting the manufacturer directly.

Cheers.

Thanks Graham.  Seems strange this comms error thing.  I can send info to the unit, including causing stutter through the diagnostics etc, so the lead must be in good enough order.

What I would like to do is simply download information held in the unit form a run just performed.  Had any luck doing this with the original software?