The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Disc Shields

GavinL

Hi...

Those of you that have ever removed your wheels may well have noticed the metal shields on the rear of the brake discs.

Does anyone know what purpose these serve and if there are any downsides/benefits of removing them e.g better brake cooling maybe

thanks as always......

When I spoke to Leon about the removal of my jap brakes, he said these have to come off any way.  If you have a UK car you don't need to remove them unless you upgrade to bigger discs and callipers.

The only reason they are there IMO is prevent suspension or brake component fluids from spraying on the disc surface in failure conditions. ie when you may be driving on the edge and need your brakes.

Leon suggested better cooling without them. When I finally get round to fitting my UK brakes I am going to cut into the protector plate and bend the edges to flatten the plate to make way for the larger disc.  Well that is the theory anyway.

(Edited by Phil Wall at 8:54 am on Feb. 3, 2002)

Folks

They are splash-guards.

i.e. prevent the disc getting wet when you pile through a big puddle.

Chris Wilson strongly advises cutting them off if you do a lot of track days as they prevent brake cooling to quite a large degree.

They're not essential (apparently) but like someone said, Toyota put them on there for a reason.

Quote: from Doughie on 1:16 pm on Feb. 3, 2002[br]Folks

They are splash-guards.

i.e. prevent the disc getting wet when you pile through a big puddle.

Chris Wilson strongly advises cutting them off if you do a lot of track days as they prevent brake cooling to quite a large degree.

They're not essential (apparently) but like someone said, Toyota put them on there for a reason.

That makes sense....I will get Leon to remove them as I'm going to be doing a few trackdays this year.

regards.....

Virtually ALL manufacturers put these shields on with disc brakes. They serve to shield the disc from a lot of the crud that is on the road. Thus extending disc service life. Not essential, but you WILL notice more scoring on your discs without them (I know as I took mine off to fit UK brakes).

Quote: from Simon on 7:35 pm on Feb. 3, 2002[br]Virtually ALL manufacturers put these shields on with disc brakes. They serve to shield the disc from a lot of the crud that is on the road. Thus extending disc service life. Not essential, but you WILL notice more scoring on your discs without them (I know as I took mine off to fit UK brakes).

Thanks for that, I can live with it and the discs are not very expensive really.