The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Elephant insurance - idiotic

Bob

Well if you want real proof of Elephant's crapness try this: I just phoned to make sure the renewel notice they gave me was actually correct based on the fact that it was so significantly cheaper than everywhere else. I gritted my teeth through the bloke laughing at me and saying 'Well I've never had anyone phone up because their insurance was too cheap before! ho ho ho' and he then confirmed that yes it's a Toyota, yes is a Supra, yes it's a Twin Turbo... but no it's not an import.

After consulting his colleague he comes back and says 'Now you renewed with us in 2004, didn't you read the policy then to make sure it's correct?'. Yes, says I, and it's an accurate description of the car, as it IS a Toyota Supra Twin Turbo.

Yes, says he, but it's an import.

Yes, says I, but how am I to know that it is incorrect, especially as you don't quote for imports via your website so I had to do it via the phone and when the chap asked me 'Why aren't you doing this via the website?' I replied 'Because it's an import, you don't quote for imports on your website, and I need a quote for an import', so the key word there was actually 'IMPORT' I think.

Oh, says he.

So are you telling me, says I, that infact my car isn't currently insured and probably hasn't been for the last 2 years?

Er, say he, probably not actually

And it's not technically insured at the moment? asks I

Probably not, says he.

So he works out the correct amount - £459 - but points out to me that because it's an import they wouldn't be able to supply a courtesy car in the event of an accident. What POSSIBLE bearing does it have on supplying a courtesy car that it's an import?

So I'd just like to say for anyone insured with or thinking of getting insured with Elephant that they are officially CRAP.

Now I'm going to phone Sky back for immediate cover. FFS.

They don't provide a courtesy car with an import because as part of keeping costs down, they feel it may take longer to source parts for an import therefore costing more for the courtesy car.

Anyway don't you know that imports are 50 times more likely to crash or get stolen and it takes 18 weeks to get ANY part from Japan and costs 10 times more than a UK car? That's what the insurance companies seem to think anyway! Elephant are pretty crap by the sounds of it, but I doubt they are any worse than any other insurance company when it comes to a pay out.

So would my 1995 J-spec clasify as a "classic" then? That would be sweet! Oh yeah and I'm with Elephant at the mo, and like everyone else, I've found them to be as intelligent as a bunch of zombified monkies (on the whole!)

yes it does. mine is a 1995 j-spec twin 6 speed. only 21, 1ncb, only £1,674

im going to take it out with the next week, with cat1, alloys, adjustable suspension, exhaust, filter, uprated intercooler, and bodykit.

ive put mine down as 7000 miles a year.

i believe daston had the same car as you, i.e non turbo and pays around 900. he is young as well

Si

Adrian Flux? robbing scum!!!!

When I bought my supra this time last year, I phoned just a few insurance companies and went with Adrian Flux....It was 2.1K....with my mods (BPU and CF bits) they pushed it up to 2700!

Just had a quote with Lancaster today......gave them same details, agreed value cover 10K miles limit.........all for a grand and I haven't shopped around yet!

yes it does. mine is a 1995 j-spec twin 6 speed. only 21, 1ncb, only £1,674

im going to take it out with the next week, with cat1, alloys, adjustable suspension, exhaust, filter, uprated intercooler, and bodykit.

ive put mine down as 7000 miles a year.

i believe daston had the same car as you, i.e non turbo and pays around 900. he is young as well

Si

Sweet, however, the only problem i have is that i have made a claim earlier this year. If i remember correctly their policy is as long as you have not made a claim in the past 12 months they will insure you so i'll wait til january i think!!!