The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP!

Paul

Hi,

Please, I need help. I just got in and noticed an oil leak on the drivers side, just infront of the rear wheel. It seems to be coming from the pipe area leading to the small cooler mounted in the 'vent'.

I believe this is something to do with cooling the diff oil on the UK spec models? am I right?

If so, what implications and the best way of sorting /checking out?

Should I still drive, not sure how much is lost and has anyone else had a problem with this?

Thanks in advance,

Paul 95TT UK

Guest Martin F

Yes you are right that is a cooler for the diff oil on UK-spec cars.

You need to check the level of oil in your diff as soon as possible. Pretty easy just jack the car up and remove the filler plug, the higher one of the two. The oil should be level with the filler hole, if it isn't then you need to top it up (maybe a good idea to replace the whole lot depending on mileage). Then try to find out where the leak is.

Driving the car with a small loss of diff fluid shouldn't be catastrophic, but if you have lost loads then you need to sort your problem before driving.

Martin,

I guess that the Louvred plastic panel protecting the rear of the cooler (in wheel arch) also protects the pipes leading to and from? I ask this as it seems that the 'raised' part of this, innermost, is where the oil seems to have come from, not the louvred section.

This would suggest that it maybe the pipes rather than the cooler?

Is this system under any pressure or is the oil pumped via the diff movement?

Worse case, a new cooler ! any idea of cost?

Cheers, Paul.

Guest Martin F

According to the EPC there is one pipe at the top in the middle of the cooler and one at the bottom. I'm pretty sure if you took the wheel arch liner off you would be able to see enough to see what the problem is.

There is an electric pump on top of the diff housing which pumps the oil through the cooler.

No idea on cost for a new cooler, but it may be worth calling a scrappie if you are on a budget as there are a few UK cars in scrappies (unfortunately).

Well, I bit the bullet and my motor is now at my local Toyota dealer being checked. Now awaiting phone call to see how much they will rip me off, sorry, charge!.

I also played safe and had the RAC take it over on a transporter as I'm not sure how much oil she lost, I guessed it was better than risking the diff from seizing.

On checking, I realised that the dash has a 'Diff Oil' level warning light. This obviously comes on with the ignition for a test, but at no time whilst driving did this come on ,so I'm hoping that it hadn't lost too much oil.

Cheers, Paul.

The Latest..................

My Toyota dealer rung tonight and said that they have cleaned around the area of the 'leak', removed the liner etc. and checked the oil cooler and pipes.They can't find anything wrong?

They also checked the Diff oil level and it was full, they didn't have to add any?

Am I going mad, the small puddle of oil under the cooler area smelt like gear oil and surely there are no other oil feeds in this area on the car.

Is there a 'breather' pipe for the unit, situated around the cooler?

Could it drop oil under here for any other reason than damaged or loose pipes or a holed cooler?

Paul  (puzzled 95TT UK)

Guest Martin F

Are you sure the local dogs haven't been cocking their legs up at your rear wheels ? :biggrin:

There doesn't seem to be any breather pipes but the pipes going between the diff and cooler seem to have a lot of joins on them.

May be worth asking the dealer to take the car out for a drive (if you trust them) so that the system pressurises and then have a look as soon as they get back.

Martin,

Nice one about the dogs but it dumped the oil when it was shut in the garage so I think I can dismiss that idea :biggrin: oh, and it smelt like gear oil not dogs piss!

I was thinking about a loose joint in the pipework as this oil must have escaped somehow!

The trust bit about them test driving it is a bit late as they said they have already taken it for a drive to pressurise, so when I collect it in the morning I'll check it out for damage etc. They said that after the drive they went over it again and couldn't see any evidence of fresh oil leaks?????????

Paul