The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Started burning my credit card again...

TRD3000GT

I'll tell ya 1 thing about the supra,I stopped outside a night club in West end.Opened the diablo doors and suddenly about 20 people came round the car...2 people almost got run over crossing the street..couldn't stop staring!. I won't even mention what happens when you go abroad with the supra.People go total nuts. While I was in Greece and driving to Greece I felt I was a celebrity!

Get the M3 and its like you own a golf you are a common human...I can't believe Chris u were considering that car!!.

I beat a brand new corvette while in Greece and the owner was asking me how he could import a supra into Greece..Same with a diablo.

About the water injection: I used to have it working....I remember while running the standard twins you notice more difference because of higher EGTs due to the restriction of the standard manifold..Running the single i got it working once and couldn't really notice hardly any difference...I dont know I will be able to tell when i fit it again and get it working for a while...

Um how does it reduce the efficiency of the intercooler?? ...

It reduces the temperature difference before/after the intercooler (on the inside)

The temp of the cooling medium (ambient air) remains the same, so i/c efficiency goes down.

The overall intercooling effectiveness may go up, but the i/c efficiency has gone down.

I.e. you haven't used the i/c to its full potential ;)

If you have a mother of a FMIC you want it to do as much as it can, THEN apply any extra cooling tricks.

If you have an overstressed SMIC (high boost from stock twins for example) then you don't mind about i/c efficiency so much, it's bringing down the damn temps that is of major importance ;)

It is the same principle why two intercoolers in a row are a bad idea. The second one has not much temp difference to work with, so it is mainly a flow restriction.

Ah right so theoretically to even things up you would have to cool the external airflow by say spraying the outside of the intercooler with rapidly evaporating liquid as well for maximum effect?

If you have an overstressed SMIC (high boost from stock twins for example) then you don't mind about i/c efficiency so much, it's bringing down the damn temps that is of major importance ;)

I have stock tubbies giving it their all and my EGT's are higher than I would like. I have an FMIC but there is a train of thought that an FMIC can lose as much as it gains because it covers the radiator. I have considered setting up single shot freezer spray onto the outside of the FMIC to see if that effects things :D

....I have stock tubbies giving it their all and my EGT's are higher than I would like.

water injection doesn't do much for EGTs, despite what various 'gurus' think ;)

It lowers temps at various parts of the cyl head, but not EGTs --- strangely enough

I have an FMIC but there is a train of thought that an FMIC can lose as much as it gains because it covers the radiator.

It's a tradeoff.

You extract more heat from the intake air, but all that heat is sent back into the engine bay via the aircon condenser and the coolant rad. So some of it comes back to haunt you.

The SMIC sheds all heat away from the engine bay, but it lacks enough mass for prolonged high-boost operation.

I have considered setting up single shot freezer spray onto the outside of the FMIC to see if that effects things :D

I've done such tests in the past, intercooler efficiency increased by around 10% max on hot summer days. That's not 10% more power, alas no.

But if the FMIC is giving you 70 extra bhp (compared to no i/c) at that boost level, then you'll get 77bhp out of it.

CO2 sprayed correctly should bring even better results, but don't expect miracles.