The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What drives the speedo?

Phil Irwin

Do I understand that speed sensors near the wheels drive the speedo? If so, front or back?

My car will have to go through an SVA and accuracy of the speedo is one of the tests. This is not the accuracy of the unit itself, but whether it shows a true speed. This can obviously be effected by the wheel/tyre size.

At the moment the car has the standard 16" wheels which I want to change to 17s. Whatever, for the SVA it will need "E" marked tyres. So I am considering buying a couple of 16" cheap-as-chips tyres to put either front or back to make sure the speedo is accurate.

Alloys. Does anyone know of suppliers who give a good discount?

For your information again.

The TRL DSC (Digital Speed Converter) has +/-10% calibration in 1.25% steps (16steps in total) on the main outputs.

The unit has 1:1, 5:8 and an SLD output and all are affected by the calibration adjustment.

This is to calibrate speed after fitting different rolling radius wheel/tyre package or changing the ratio of your rear diff etc.

I've done this for a couple of guys in NZ with exchanged diffs, they had -15% and -8% respectively so even specials are possible.

http://www.trlperformance.com/dsc.html

Regards

Pete

Quote: from Phil Irwin on 8:32 am on Feb. 9, 2002[br]Do I understand that speed sensors near the wheels drive the speedo? If so, front or back?

My car will have to go through an SVA and accuracy of the speedo is one of the tests. This is not the accuracy of the unit itself, but whether it shows a true speed. This can obviously be effected by the wheel/tyre size.

At the moment the car has the standard 16" wheels which I want to change to 17s. Whatever, for the SVA it will need "E" marked tyres. So I am considering buying a couple of 16" cheap-as-chips tyres to put either front or back to make sure the speedo is accurate.

Alloys. Does anyone know of suppliers who give a good discount?

Speedo is driven from gearbox.

Speedo is allowed a 10% tolerance factor.

For example, with 18" 265/35 on rear, my speedo is +5% (could explain why I didn't get pulled over the other day when I was doing an indicated 100 - 110.)