The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rear hatch rubbers --- where from?

JohnA

Yeah I think only the lower ones (on the body) actually seem to wear significantly, the top ones are hard arn't they? There were on my car anyway.

I would get the screws just incase, if it's like mine the old ones mashed getting them out!

ebay was mentioned at the top of the thread, just saying someone is charging more than Mr T for those rubbers on there!

I've just had a look and tried to get the rubbers out.

I'm not gonna be reusing the stupid Toyota screws, that's for sure. I've got a modest selection of screws/bolts/etc in my garage and I was lucky to find a few at the same length with allen heads (same thread obviously)

Piece of pish.

Only snag was that an idiot has rounded one of the original screws, so that will take some persuasion to come out (worst case is the Dremmel)

You could see the blue Loctite in the other three, what were they thinking FFS...

Be VERY careful with them, it's VERY easy to feck them. Only use a quality Phillips 2 head. I stuck it in and used an adjustable wrench to turn it carefully, pushing it inwards at the same time. If it slips first time round, you're in trouble.

I also used WD40, not sure if it helped though. It's the Loctite that does the damage. Plus the stupid Phillips heads of course.

I had real trouble with these screws too! Yeah the loctite seemed really OTT. Apparenty a little heat helps them come out (decent soldering iron perhaps?) but I didn't try that, I had to hacksaw a slot "carefully" and use big screwdriver to get them out.

The new screws from Mr T are a different design, much much better! :)

hi col ive got a pencil heat torch , perfect for melting the locktight , so i used the old ones came out easy .

my mate has a supe and he only paid £3.75 each as well

I worked it out afterwards and John was getting "ripped off" for about £2 a piece. Hardly the Brinks Mat Bullion eh? :tongue:

They just came in today.

£18.27 and (I can't believe this!) they are the WRONG ONES! :complain:

despite agreeing clearly that I need the ones screwed on the chassis and NOT on the hatch.

A big nice warning on the bottom of the invoice that 'special orders' are not taken back for credit.

I guess this was never meant to work out, lol.... :whistle:

They just came in today.

£18.27 and (I can't believe this!) they are the WRONG ONES! :complain:

despite agreeing clearly that I need the ones screwed on the chassis and NOT on the hatch.

A big nice warning on the bottom of the invoice that 'special orders' are not taken back for credit.

I guess this was never meant to work out, lol.... :whistle:

it might be a special order but its thier mistake. take it back! i have the rubber that you want sat in front of me now and the part number is 67293-14051. hope that helps you out a bit

lee

Yeah, I've now ordered them through my local Toyota supplier.

£6.51 all inc.

They, too, almost ordered the wrong part, thank God I had the part number with me to verify. I don't think that the EPC shows it clear at all TBH.

No big deal, I'll swap the other ones now that I've got them, just goes to show how important it is to have part numbers when ordering. I wasn't sure the mkiv.com numbers would be the same as the Uk catalogs, that's why I didn't use it first time round.

Still, doesn't hurt to have an alternative parts source, if only when shopping around for more expensive parts.

Anyone changed their rubbers and still had rattle?.

Oi, don't even go there!

Mine doesn't exactly rattle (not to my ears at least) but one hatch hinge snapped off, and I suspect the rubbers might have allowed it to rattle for ages, weakening it and breaking it clean off. I can't think of any other explanation, the hinges look very thick and tough.

Loosing the hatch at motorway speeds doesn't even bear thinking about...

I would give Steve Manley a ring John. I am sure he will refund you straight away.

I can't be bothered any more mate --- I'll have to send the crap back (waste time going to a post office waiting behind the single mothers and the OAPs), then risk them getting lost in the post (had this happen to me!), then they'll have restocking fees and what have you, it's just not worth the aggro...

It was only meant to be a 'test run' and I've learned my lesson alright

I just stuck draft excluder over the bottom rubbers. Did this a year ago and haven't had any rattles since. I know people will moan and say you shouldn't so a bodge job on a car that used to cost £40K, but it was a lot less hassle than replacing by all accounts and only cost £1.20 and you can't even tell it's there now that it's taken the shape of the rubbers!!!