The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra spoiler removal

npotts

No UKSpec was offically allowed to lose the rear wing.

Maybe you're thinking of n/a versions, I don't know...

I don't think Toyota lied about the downforce figure, or the effect on Cd (0.01 point)

I like the supra's stability at silly speeds, I don't see myself ditching the rear or the front active spoiler.

I've done 160+ in various other cars (and bikes for that matter) and in my opinion only the Skyline approaches the stability of the supra.

Let's agree to disagree, shall we? :D

I thought the purpose of the spoiler was to actually disturb the airflow over the car? I seem to remember reading somewhere the airflow over the car caused 'lift' similar to the effect on a planes wing causing loss of traction

Yeah, picture the car like a perfect semi-sphere, flat bottom and round top (Audi-TT?). Because the distance the air has to travel to go over the car is more than the distance to travel below the car (flat), the air above the car is at lower pressure because the same volume of air (per unit cube) is spread over a larger area before it 'meets up' with the air from the bottom of the car. Hence high pressure air underneath and lower pressure air above causes the car to be 'pushed' upwards.

The same is true of a planes wing, the same is also true of a spoiler except it's the other way, flatter top than bottom (or supposed to be).

[aside]I need to learn more but I'm sure there are ways of creating downforce without the 'usual' contoured underpans that have been created before (F1 etc.), would create a bloody good handling car!![/aside]

I thought the purpose of the spoiler was to actually disturb the airflow over the car?

you are thinking of the 'lips' at the back of box-style cars.

Those are indeed meant to disturb the airflow, and when setup on a windtunnel they ultimately reduce the 'wake' at the back of the car, reducing overall aerodynamic drag.

I seem to remember reading somewhere the airflow over the car caused 'lift' similar to the effect on a planes wing causing loss of traction

all mainstream road cars are like inverted wings, they ALL create lift at speed.

The rear spoiler (when functional) is meant to reduce this lift, by trading away some aerodynamic efficiency.

It's a balance, depending on the car's expected use in real life.

I have drove the car at 150 with the spoiler and 150 without,IMHO without the car seems smoother and quiet,with seems to be a bit more noise,apart from that unless you are driving at high speeds around racing tracks all day every day,then you wont notice much difference. :rolleyes: