The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto level

Geezabloke

With the auto box, what is the best way to check the level when hot?

With engine running?

After selecting various gears at standstill?

After a run with engine running??

After a run with engine off for five minutes?

Am never sure whatis the correcy method and should the level be very obvious on the dipstick?

Dave :devil:

I have seen no proof that DextronIII is equivalent to TypeIV, so I wouldn't risk it.

In fact I haven't seen *any* specs of TypeIV anywhere, and since the cost of TypeIV is reasonable, I'd play it safe on TT boxes. If you see the maze of passages and valves inside the box you'll think twice before taking liberties with the lubricant in there.

I wouldn't trust anything else, without written guarantee that it is compatible with this box.

N/A boxes are happy with normal Dextron stuff.

Have you seen proof that the type IV is better than type III though ;)

You could be right, im a firm believer this fluid is fine in both box's as long as you look after it and change at regular intervals, but as you say everyone is entitled to there own opinion......ive used it in supras and driven over 20,000 miles in 2-3 and never had problems with any of the boxes :)

I know of at least one of the more experienced members of this board who believes that typeIII is a good replacement.

Still, I know of failures due to DextronII (sticky valves inside, that sort of thing). Although the autobox designation number is the same, Toyota saw fit to specify a different type of oil for the TT. I don't think they would have done it if there was no reason at all.

Maybe I'm overcautious, better safe than sorry ;)

Not that I have seen, but I have never really tried to get all the specs. I recommend peole use the Toyota stuff, unless they feel quite brave. Rest assured, customers, it's ALL i use in customers cars, but then it's not MY money i am spending... I DO put good oil in stuff that's reall stressed, as in 88 quid for 4 litres of gear oil for my race car the other day. Neo is REALLY dear stuff, but indisputably the best.