The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bolt to delete the stock oil cooler..

jza800

There is no bolt.

You need something like this, 3/4" JIC male to 3/4" JIC male hydraulic fitting.

http://hydraulicmegastore.com/images/detailed/1/JIC_Male_x_JIC_Male.jpg

Screw that into the engine block then fit the sandwich plate to the block by screwing the correct sandwich plate retainer onto the protruding end of the JIC fitting.

The plate retainer doubles as the oil filter retainer/oil supply, a "bolt" is a bodge.

• 2 months later...

maybe a odd question, but i have to ask ;)

i have as you can see removed the stock oil cooler, and mountet the aftermarked on direck to this bolt.. i my maxium oil pressure is 4.8 bar (70 psi) at wot.. can that be because off i removed the stock oil cooler and that the relief valve is now removed there??? it sits between stock oil cooler and oil filter??

• 2 years later...

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the topic of thermostatic oil cooler. I'm having issues with over cooling using a thermostat. It might be related to the fact that the radiator I use is a big 30 row cooler. It results in the oil pan temperature being very low at between 40 and 60 C. I think that is not good because of the viscosity of the oil being too high at this temperature (also it might be a problem to burn off water ect).

Also the oil lines are rather large to keep pressure drop low.

So I was wondering if it would be a better solution to mount two fittings to the oil pan and fit an external electric oil pump and a big cooler and then use PWM to control the speed of the pump to keep the oil pan temperatures low but not too low. Then I could also use smaller 6 or 8 an lines.

The pumps I can find flow around 3-4 gallons pr minute if they are supposed to stand continuous use at high temperatures. Would that be enough? And what would be optimal oil pan temperatures? 85 C ?

Oh, and I should add that I would leave the OEM cooler in place.

Edited by Kristian_Wraae (see edit history)