The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension Advice - I know nothing!

mk1its

Guys

The one area of cars that I have not a lot of knowledge on is suspension.

One of my very first posts lasts year detailed how I felt the front end of the Supra was very 'skippy' ie. your coming into a left hand bend with slight opposite camber on the road and the car doesn't grip, it just bounces into the other lane! :blink:

Last night I took a friend of mine out for a blast in the Supra now its fully BPU (god its good fun!) and he believes there's something wrong with the suspension.

Bit of history on the car, its a 94 Jap TT, the clocks state 72K, running on yellow bilsteins, whether they have been changed or not by previous owners is a mystery. I'm runnin 19's with 265 on the rear and 235 on the front.

When we finished the test drive we tested the suspension ie. pushing down on each corner. The rears were very hard and the fronts seemed 'normalish'. This explains why the back end whips out far too easily as there's no cushion on the rear.

I was about to order some lowering springs however my friend informed me that coilovers will allow me to set the ride height to whatever I want it to be, and with the current suspension woes, perhaps it's time to change them suspension?

The car also vibrates a lot at 120mph (on a private road of course), starting at around 80mph an it's definitely coming from the front. You can feel it when braking also but not when going slow. The brake discs were purchased recently from a member on here and they're very good in terms of stopping power, having hardly done many miles.

Few questions:

1) How do you truly know if the yellow bilsteins are fooked?

2) Are coilovers the way forward? If so, what brands are good and should I avoid cheap coilovers?

3) What else can I do to the suspension to help things? At the end of the day, it's a 20 year old car so thins probably need replacing. Poly bushes?

A tall order I'm asking here guys but any information would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mark.

I never had any problems with my car in 12 years with how it drove, it was sat

on 255 19 and 295 19.

I fitted new o/e dampers with Eibach pro sport springs, these drop the car

30 mm at the front and 25 mm at the rear approx. I don't think you can get

the springs anymore though.

Speak to Chris Wilson, he can sort you out with Bilstein dampers and lowering

springs, he knows a thing or two about suspension, he wont like your 19" wheels

though !

Get the discs's checked, it's easy enough to do using a toolmakers DTI clock

with the discs still on the car, were the hub faces cleaned before fitting ?

Get the car on a ramp and go round all the suspension bushes and ball joints

and check for play, you might find some of the eccentric adjusters are seized

inside the bushes.

To replace its either a lot of money fitting complete o/e arms or the cheaper

polybush route.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

To be honest unless your prepared to pay around 3k + for coilovers I would just stay with the bilstiens I'm sure CW would agree. As dunk has said have word with Chris Wilson and see what he can do for you with the bilstien me and a mate of mine have just fitted an uprated set of CW bilstiens with lowering springs to his car and they are magic to say the least