The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bigger intercooler and hks hard pipes - loss of boost?

mk1its

Guys

Last week I had fitted an uprated ally smic and a hard pipe kit. Since then, the boost doesn't feel as tight and I'm def making the turbos work harder

Is there a device to test whether there is any boost leak? I'm guessing it's leaking boost since the garage fitted it.

Cheers

Mark.

Bear in mind that if the pipes are a larger diameter now than they were before, this will cause the system to build boost pressure a little slower as the system capacity is a larger volume. Add that to the larger IC capacity and you may have your answer.

As Mellonman says though, before and after results will help as if it's a massive difference, there may be a leak somewhere

Yeah I've got a hks evc controlling the boost and I'd say it's getting to the same boost as before but I am having to use more throttle.

That's misleading and confusing, let me explain. :D

Before the change, the boost was very tight and on the damp roads of late, I've only been using wot when I'm already on second turbo (over 4k revs) and it then hits 106kpa (about 15psi), if I tried wot before 4k the wheels just span up.

Now, it feels as though I have to use a more throttle to get the same response, almost as though the torqueness (for the want of a better word) has lowered. It def doesn't feel as quick.

The turbo oil seals are leaking slightly and there is a lot of play in the shafts. I've some replacements coming so that'll help but I do think there's something else at large here....

I did notice a small slit in the black silicone pipe next to the first turbo.... This cannot be helping things.....

Does anyone know what size silicon piping I need without me taking it off? And where I can buy it from?