The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GE engine (and some mods) into non Supra chassis.

Guest k3vin

Was not really sure where to put this thread, or how much it's of interest to other forum users being a non Supra install, but here goes anyway.

The engine is a 2JZ GE from a 95 GS300 which it seems breakers can't give away right now (who knows why given it's one hell of an engine).

The plan is to fit it into my 1986 Fox Mustang which is currently running the 2.3 Pinto engine it came from the factory with. I could have done the usual swap and put a 5.0 V8 in it, god knows I have enough of them, or I could have pushed on with the Chevy LS1 engine I had built and modified to a pretty high standard. At the last minute I just felt there must be something better, and it didn't take long to work it out.

The engine in question has about 86K on it and came from the breakers complete from propshaft to radiator with everything in between. The first thing I noticed is that it has a different trans from the Supra, which is a sort of hybrid between the A340e and the later A343e as it has 4 solenoids, the valve body from the 343e, but uses a TV cable and pre OBD2 control.

The trans is called a AW4 043e and is found most commonly in chrysler and volvo vehicles. From the outside it looks identical to a A341e.

The second thing I found is that the ecu and wiring loom are different to the Supra so all the info I had about wiring the loom for standalone operation didn't fully help. I've subsequently worked that out and I'll post more on the loom when I finish it.

A couple of things I've already done (the engine only arrived 8 days ago) is to fit a rear oil pan from a Supra as the front pan it came with wont work for me, and I've removed the intake manifold, vapour blasted it, and now working out how best to modify it for improved performance.

This leads to my first question:

What are the opinions on replacing the throttle body with one from a Lexus LS400, is it worth it, and how well does the GE intake take to modifications generally?

Any advice or opinions on basic mods for this engine will be appreciated, and I will continue to make changes as I see the need, just following the principle of 'trial and error' in an attempt to clean up the layout/look of the engine and make performance improvements along the way.

2JZ-GEs are worth nothing because they are so good that they never break, so nobody ever needs a replacement. :)

Sounds like the 'box is the same as the V8 Soarer 'box. I think the extra solenoid might be used to make the gearchanges smoother.

EDIT: It might be possible to disconnect it. Check the Club Lexus SC400 forum for the "4th solenoid mod".

There isn't really any tuning information for the GE other than "stick a turbo on it"...

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Thanks for the trans info-

Turbo is my plan long term, but I want to get it in and running first, giving me the chance to ponder options for the turbo layout. I really want a front mounted turbo, or to be more precise I want to mount it front left where the air filter would normally sit.

The other project I want to do is to fit GM Vortec truck coils in in a coil on plug configuration, and handily, I have plenty of them lying around.These coils are a popular swap in the US and I've even seen kits put together with them.

Some other things on the list are- sorting out the rat's nest of vacuum pipes. get rid of the oil filter cooler assy', modify the J tube to make it neater, change the pulleys, vapour blast and powder coat every bit of aluminium (I'm not a fan of shinny) and of course, simplify the intake manifold and throttle body, as much for getting a clean look as any other reason.

Ideally I'd like to put GTE cam covers on it (modifying the stock intake to suit) or fabricate some kind of forward facing manifold to suit the GE head.

Guest Roger NE

I've just fitted a 2JZ-GE (from a Mk4 Supra) in my Mk3 Supra . . . really pleased with the result. (the reason for the swap is the 7M series engines in the Mk3 are quite unreliable).

http://www.wessexprod.demon.co.uk/supra2jz/2jzengine1.jpg

I sussed out all the wiring myself, so if you need any advice, let me know.

Unless you ARE going to turbocharge the engine in the near future, I would keep the stock intake system - it's really rather clever - the Y pipes are because the intake switches between dual and single chambers, depending on driving conditions (optimising power at lower and higher revs)

And personally I've found the Distributor HT system much more reliable than coils on plugs, so definitely keeping that !

If you're using the engine without Cats (as I am) you should have around 230 bhp without any mods.

So are you sticking with the Automatic transmission? Personally I hate Autos, and as my car is a Manual, it was quite easy as the Mk3 Supra also uses the W58 gearbox - just needed the 2JZ bellhousing from a Mk4 to mate it up.

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

You sound like someone I need to know :)

I'm sticking Auto for now as I intend to go with a Power Glide long term. I've actually done a lot of work with the R154, converting it to work with chevy V8 engines and I usually have a few laying around, but I sold the last 6 I had pretty quickly.

Here's a crap phone pic of my setup:1524762_266947126787892_26582785_n.jpg

The main reason for changing the manifold is I want to run a small (125 shot) of nitrous at the track and I'm a little concerned about even distribution in the plenum with all that's going on in there.