The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cutting out

pixiedick

could anyone help in solving the reason my supra n/a manual 95 occasionally cuts out when coming to a stop, revs seem to drop really low then cuts out,then starts up straight away. Also at 60 miles an hour everytime my engine warning light comes on, it never over heats, and runs fine, if I turn the ignition off then restart car straight away the light stays off until I reach 60 again, my local garage changed the gearbox sensor, then the distributor, then the coil, its been going on for a year now, and the car still runs great, any help would be greatly appreciated, or could anyone recommend a good garage in the Plymouth area thank you

Not sure about the 60mph issue as it sounds too much like an electronic problem as you say but the stalling is otherwise absolutely indicative of poor compression like a BHG or loose spark plug etc. which in turn could be confusing the various sensors.

Do you have an oily throttle body interior or intake piping?

I'd do a compression test first to eliminate it from the equation.

Being an NA doesn't help though for accessibility so the intake Y section and piping will have to be removed to check the plugs but if it's very oily and dirty inside, your PCV system may be fouled up, (I think!), causing blowback from the crankcase. A leakdown test is also a good idea at your car's age and with stalling being an issue.

MkIV Supras are not known for having blown head gaskets (unlike MkIII's!) and this doesn't seem to be the problem here but a vacuum leak or dirty throttle body could restrict enough air at low rev's to stall it.

Still, could just be a bad ground connection from the ECU to the chassis as this causes all sorts of problems.