The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2 stage acceleration

dil

Hi Guys,

took my sup out for a couple of fast runs over the weekend and i noticed something strange...... when i accelerate hard in the first 3 gears, its quite moderate acceleration upto about 4500 revs then the engine takes on a harded louder note and i've got rapid speed build up, not TT rapid but the change in pace is very noticeable.

I havent got the VVT engine and i'm pretty sure theres no turbo's hiding under the bonnet, so whats causing it?

anyother NA drivers cars behave like this? or will the soon to be had service cure this?

as always Cheeers

Guys,

i always thought the 3 litre 6 cylinder had quite a linear power delivery, my problem with this power not kicking in until 4500 rpm, is that even the 150bhp boyz round here can keep up with me of the lights, so i'm always quite surprised to hear the kill stories, and always thought the NA was much more of a cruiser rather than a bruiser.

If anyones got any output graphs please post them, to put my mind at rest that i'm not dreaming it,cos i still have this feeling that the sup should be faster than it is, and therefore needs medical attention

cheers

Yes, most definitely.

My NA is quite raucous apres 4,500 or so.  If you keep it in gear slightly longer than you would a normal car, you can beat pretty much anything off the lights (150bhp boys will cry).

I've had my car about 6 months now, and I've only really learned how to drive it 'properly' to coax juice out of it.  Like yourself, I thought it would be a linear output...

Well the cars in for a service with Jem, the service manager seems to know his stuff, and i've asked him to take the car out for a drive and just see what he thinks in general about how it drives.......

i did mean to put some of that injector cleaner, and oil treatment stuff so i could give it a good thrash on the way up there too loosen any build up, but completely forgot to do it.

Flip i dont know about how you drive yours, but mine always feel a bit sluggish until i've redlined once or twice through the gears, then everything seems to loosen up, and the car picks up speed much more quickly.

i'm hoping to notice a change in character of the engine when i pick the car up on saturday

I can get a great deal of lag (if that's the right word for a non-turbo car) sometimes, if I let it drop below 3,000 or so and boot it.

It's really rewarding once you catch it at the best revs for the first time, I quite like the slight boost at 4,500 personally, cos I only very rarely 'give it large'.