The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not sure what to do

HJM

cat D does say it was recorded by the insurance company - but most cars sold by importers are graded R or RA (accident and well repaired) hence why you aint shown or told the rating...so there are a lot out there that are still driving well. personally i steer clear - there are simple checks you can perform when test driving or inspecting to spot an accidented motor but it is made harder if the car is modded as any mechanical inaccuracies could be attributed to bad workmanship after the car left the factory!

oh by the way HJM - did the seller reveal it was Cat D or was he hoping you simply didnt HPI it? cos i gotta say, if he was prepared to lie to you about its condition and history, can you really have confidence in anything else he puts forward - stepping back is the right move. :nana:

HPI only extends to claims in this country. What happened in Japan is anyones guess. There is also nothing to stop someone rolling their car, getting the AA to recover it and taking it to a bodyshop, fix it and sell and not tell anyone, providing no-one was hurt iirc.

oh by the way HJM - did the seller reveal it was Cat D or was he hoping you simply didnt HPI it? cos i gotta say, if he was prepared to lie to you about its condition and history, can you really have confidence in anything else he puts forward - stepping back is the right move. :nana:

No, they revealed nothing! They are trying to imply they didn't know (which may or may not be true) but I have to agree - confidence is all gone now :thumbdown

Oh well, going to get my deposit back tonight - which they are happy to refund - so well worth the £40 to HPI I reckon!

yup that is usual - basically I'll tell you this...the importer knows what 'grade' the car is before he decides to stump up the money to bring it over. the car is 'graded' by experts in Japan and communicated to the importer - having done this myself, I can confidently tell you that the overwhelming majority are accident repaired and the vast majority of the car buying public would not spot the tell tale signs.

If the car is in good condition - it will be graded '4', good/average is '3.5', average is '3', accident repaired is R or RA. If I wanted to hide something, I wouldn't mention the grade or try to BS my way through the sale.

OK, been to get my deposit back and the seller seemed to be genuinely unaware of the situation (or a damn good liar :p )

So, the question is - what if I could get this car for around £2k cheaper and get it checked out mechancially and bodily before parting with my cash - would it still be a bad buy :help:

OK, been to get my deposit back and the seller seemed to be genuinely unaware of the situation (or a damn good liar :p )

So, the question is - what if I could get this car for around £2k cheaper and get it checked out mechancially and bodily before parting with my cash - would it still be a bad buy :help:

Yes....would still be too much.

Travelling to see good examples is part of buying a car. Surely you can manage a trip to southampton? I bought my first n/a from a company there. Try Newera imports. They usually have some good examples. Plus i'm sure some guys on here could source you a good example?

Travelling to see good examples is part of buying a car. Surely you can manage a trip to southampton? I bought my first n/a from a company there. Try Newera imports. They usually have some good examples. Plus i'm sure some guys on here could source you a good example?

Travelling is not an issue at all - just can't see the 'one', that's all