The mkiv Supra Owners Club

EGR mod

Syed Shah

Can someone pls give a quick summary of what the EGR system is, and what the benefit of removing it is supposed to be.

am i right in that EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation ?    

is it meant to keep boost pressure up ??

what are the symptoms of it leaking?

Guest Martin F

Yep Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

It takes a quantity of the exhaust gases and attempts to cool them and dumps them back in the inlet manifold near cylinders No 5&6 to cut down on emissions. The trade off is that the temperature around cylinders No 5&6  is quite a bit hotter than the other cylinders, not good.

Also the EGR system is known to fail causing loss of boost pressure, as there's a bit more to it than just extract, cool and dump.

(Edited by Martin F at 5:02 pm on Feb. 3, 2002)

Hi....

My car makes an odd clicking noise which I has been attributed too a failure in the EGR system.

Any way I thought I would do this mod just in case it fixed this issue, also it is supposed to give a 20-30 degree C drop in EGT's which is handy.

My understanding is the EGR system recirculates air back into the first cylinder but causes heating of number 5 & 6 as part of the cooling system is attached to the engine in that area. I think the EGR system is for the US market, I beleive the 300zx has it as well.

If anyone is interested in the mod I got my plates, both are required to removed the system, from Mohd who resides on the www.mkiv.com mailing list. They cost $59.00 inc shipping and are well made and very substantial.

In addition you need a resistor to fool the ECU into thinking the system is still present. I will be buying a quantity of these shortly.

If anyone is feeling a bit daring I also have the basic guide to removing the stock traction control!

regards.......

Guest Martin F
Quote: from GavinL on 11:11 pm on Feb. 3, 2002[br]
Quote: from Syed Shah on 10:08 pm on Feb. 3, 2002[br]

Do you think it might giver a (small) power gain anyone?

Thanks

nope

Hmm think i have to disagree there.

Anything that is going to remove heat from the incoming air is going to increase power. Although in reality i doubt that the EGR mod will release masses of power, maybe 1 or 2 bhp.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for info

I have had the EGR mod done on my UK spec car.

If anyone is planning on doing this bear in mind that the top plate is easy to do the bottom plate is right down the back of the engine block and a real pain in the butt.

On the plus side, the UK cars do not need a resistor to fool the ECU.