The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bmw help

tkddav3

Hey guys, got back from holiday this morning to hear my sisters 2.0 bmw z4 is making some strange noises, ive driven it and it feels okay although she sais it feels sluggish.

basically it sounds like a crackling noise coming from underneath/behind the inlet...kinda as if something metallic is bashing around, it only happens when you lift of the throttle after revving it(obviously the louder the noise the higher the revs)

im kinda stumped so anyone got any ideas? ill try to attach a video or if i cant do that ill just link it

dave

http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/tkddave/media/F471F65B-879A-421A-A591-1B711AD09DC6-589-00000061763905B4_zps88a96e0e.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

What year is the z4? From the noise is sounds like the "disa valve" or " intake manifold adjuster valve". It went on my old e60. What engine is it specifically n52?

It's easy to check if its gone, it's a black box in the intake side of engine, about 10 inches long held on with a couple of torx screws. Take it off and inside there'll be a flap under spring pressure. Move it with your hands and if there's any lateral play I'd say that's the problem.

Have a look at this, it might explain more...

I paid 180 euro for a new one from the dealers.

Is Engine light coming on?. possible causes from top of my head is vanos solenoids or timing chain guide rail/tensioner

hmmm that sounds expensive!

What year is the z4? From the noise is sounds like the "disa valve" or " intake manifold adjuster valve". It went on my old e60. What engine is it specifically n52?

It's easy to check if its gone, it's a black box in the intake side of engine, about 10 inches long held on with a couple of torx screws. Take it off and inside there'll be a flap under spring pressure. Move it with your hands and if there's any lateral play I'd say that's the problem.

Have a look at this, it might explain more...

I paid 180 euro for a new one from the dealers.

Hers annoyingly has the n46 engine, which if it does have a disa valve its nowhere to be seen! it looks nothing like the n52. so im stumped :( ill do some research the manifold adjuster valve n see whats what

I had a very similar noise on mine but it showed a vanos solenoid fault and engine light was staying on, i removed both solenoids exhaust and intake and cleaned them as they have a fine metal filter which gets blocked with carbon deposits.

I had a very similar noise on mine but it showed a vanos solenoid fault and engine light was staying on, i removed both solenoids exhaust and intake and cleaned them as they have a fine metal filter which gets blocked with carbon deposits.

oh really? were they easy to remove? hmmmm wouldnt have thought that could make such a noise but could be right! ive posted on the z4 forum to see what they say too

cheers mate

Its what I suggested aswell, the yanks call is a DISA valve. From a quick google however I'm not sure is came on the n46 engine.

You are right this engine does not have DISA valve. :)

Are these the ones that are also known as swirl flaps? as i thought this engine model did not have them.

No only the diesel engine has swirl flaps, Abz. :)

well it wouldnt start this morning so it had to be towed this morning to the local garage (it would crank just wouldnt fire) the rac guy told my mum that its the timing belt which has gone, this is why it wouldnt start. stumped..... haha