The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking of carbon vinyl interior? thoughts ...

kniff_666

Around the ignition 'bump' is the hardest. I managed to the whole panel using one piece of vinyl, you need to shape and heat to the complete bump first and try and remove tension at the base before doing the rest. It's such a bugger to do it took 3 go's to get it right.

just out of interest what size/amount of sheet did you use to do this?

EDIT:

just realised that the bloody main dash surround (dials, heater controls etc) comes off in 3 bits.[ blonde moment :blink:]

But what was the largest size of sheet you ordered?

Edited by kniff_666 (see edit history)

Yeah, it comes off in 3 pieces. Not sure of the size as I just got a couple of sheets about 1m x 1.5m and it came out of that with plenty spare. just measure roughly and leave a good allowance all round.

Don't use the 3m primer all over, when the vinyl sticks to it it's pretty well there for good and you need to peel back and stretch in some areas and the primer will make this more difficult.

Run a line of the primer on the L/H edge of the main panel as this is a smallish radius and the primer makes perfect adhesion for the vinyl. Get plenty of extra because it's difficult to explain the techniques I learnt, also I don't know how fussy you are, anything less than perfect and I threw £££££'s worth of vinyl away :D.

The one good thing is you can tear it off and do it again, if you do this and have areas of primer left than you have to use IPA (not the beer) to remove it. It's water soluble when in liquid form but once dry it reqs. something better to remove it than water.

Give me a shout if you get problem areas and I might be able to give you some hints.

just out of interest what size/amount of sheet did you use to do this?

EDIT:

just realised that the bloody main dash surround (dials, heater controls etc) comes off in 3 bits.[ blonde moment :blink:]

But what was the largest size of sheet you ordered?

That looks awesome.

I am going for the non high gloss stuff.

I don't want it to reflect.

Interested in the suede covering though.

this is the black,if your going with the carbon take your time and plan your moves and on the ignition panel start on the raised bit first same with gear surround if your auto ,give me a shout if you want any help mate

2012-04-04 20.03.18.jpg

2012-04-04 20.04.20.jpg

Edited by Dave (see edit history)

UPDATE:

Got all the necessary bits to do the ash tray lid on saturday and gave it a go.

Before:

DSCF2899.jpg

After:

DSCF2901.jpg

DSCF2903.jpg

Not happy with how the corners came out tho. as seen here.

DSCF2902.jpg

It was a real PITA to do these curved corners.

You cannot see the lower corners when the part is in the car as it looks awesome.

(problem is that i know the corners are not brilliant!)

It took me about an hour just to do this. But i am putting that down to the corners and a learning curve.

Your always gonna have slight bits that go like that mate but im guessing it will come along as you do more but im guessing its only reall the ash tray that you have to cover the corners perfectly because on the other parts like dash etc it will be covered where it clips in so aslong as the face is flat :D good job though mate keep us updated :D

this is the black,if your going with the carbon take your time and plan your moves and on the ignition panel start on the raised bit first same with gear surround if your auto ,give me a shout if you want any help mate

Just as a bit of a side question.

How much would you charge to do the following in suede?

manual gear surround

main dash panels (control switch surround, dial surround and ignition surround bit)

upper dash panel

just curious at this point.

Just as a bit of a side question.

How much would you charge to do the following in suede?

manual gear surround

main dash panels (control switch surround, dial surround and ignition surround bit)

upper dash panel

just curious at this point.

£150.00 plus postage £10 plus-- i will do your centre console box lid in that price

on your ashtray i guess your using the sicky back stuff ,you can stretch it slighty by using a hair dryer so you wont get that bunching up on the corner.

£150.00 plus postage £10 plus-- i will do your centre console box lid in that price

on your ashtray i guess your using the sicky back stuff ,you can stretch it slighty by using a hair dryer so you wont get that bunching up on the corner.

Wow. Thats a good price for all that. Does that include removing the rubberised paint on it to?

(i only ask because i have removed it from the ashtray and manual surround but not the other dash panels yet)

Could you to do it in a matt effect carbon fibre?

And instead of doing the arm rest cover would you be able to do the passenger and drivers window switch surrounds?

I am seriously considering this.

Edited by kniff_666 (see edit history)

heres how i do it

pic 1 stick to the top of the ashtray lid

pic 2 stick the sides

pic 3 pull down on the fold apply glue to the underneath

pic 4 cut off the excess underneath and it should look like this.

Thanx for the info dave but i think i do not think that i am going to do this myself anymore.

Reason:

I completed the ashtray on saturday and placed it back in the car on sunday. Parked at work yesterday and came out to the car about 5 ish only to find the sun beating down on the car and the ashtray ... only so it was warm inside the car and found that the lid had developed some air bubbles and the corners had come away where it had been stretched! Needless to say i was not pleased.

On all the edges i used the proper 3M primer but it didn't seem to help. :(

Thanx for the info dave but i think i do not think that i am going to do this myself anymore.

Reason:

I completed the ashtray on saturday and placed it back in the car on sunday. Parked at work yesterday and came out to the car about 5 ish only to find the sun beating down on the car and the ashtray ... only so it was warm inside the car and found that the lid had developed some air bubbles and the corners had come away where it had been stretched! Needless to say i was not pleased.

On all the edges i used the proper 3M primer but it didn't seem to help. :(

I used the 3M di-noc stuff with the 3M primer and 3M mounting glue. Should i have used the 3M mounting glue? Starting to think i maybe should not have used the mounting glue

I used the 3M di-noc stuff with the 3M primer and 3M mounting glue. Should i have used the 3M mounting glue? Starting to think i maybe should not have used the mounting glue

I only used the 3M primer not the mounting glue

Wow. Thats a good price for all that. Does that include removing the rubberised paint on it to?

(i only ask because i have removed it from the ashtray and manual surround but not the other dash panels yet)

Could you to do it in a matt effect carbon fibre?

And instead of doing the arm rest cover would you be able to do the passenger and drivers window switch surrounds?

I am seriously considering this.

the only carbon i use is the one in the pics it looks more shiney in pics than it actually is, i can send you a sample if you want then you can decide .pm me your address mate and will get some off to you.could also send you some suede as well if you want .

i always rub down the panels before applying carbon ,and will do your window switches as well no prob.

the only carbon i use is the one in the pics it looks more shiney in pics than it actually is, i can send you a sample if you want then you can decide .pm me your address mate and will get some off to you.could also send you some suede as well if you want .

i always rub down the panels before applying carbon ,and will do your window switches as well no prob.

Cheers dave, that would be good.

I will pm you my address to send samples to.