The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel lines: "stainless steel" Vs Teflon

SteveR

A few of you will know my mate Mike with the GTR34 & engine transplant Audi Coupe...

Well anyway he's put in a swirl pot to help ensure enough fuel is getting into his GTR and used "stainless steel" fuel hoses (rubber with stainless braiding over the top), but ever since he installed it all he's complained of a smell of petrol.

After a bit of digging, he's found loads of stories on the net that make out his is inevitable and unavoidable and the only way to avoid it if you're upgrading fuel lines is to fit lines made from Teflon / PTFE instead of the rubber ones. e.g. look here: http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/stpg.php?page_id=ptfe_teflon

Has anyone got any experience of this? Is there anything Mike should be checking? I was going to fit a similar setup to my Supra or at the very least replace the fuel lines but don't want the car stinking of fuel.