The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1JZ Project, Tips and Advice Most Welcome.

kraig

When the hell did those become available??

I spent monts looking for a suitable aftermarket Y pipe that wasn't designed specifically for the MKIII Supra but I never found one.:blink:

I ended up chasing this second hand pair of Australian-made dump pipes down on a Soarer Owners Club for a fair wedge of dough, but I feel it was totally justified!:D

attachment.php?attachmentid=151703&d=1337070569

attachment.php?attachmentid=151704&d=1337070569

attachment.php?attachmentid=151705&d=1337070569

They were actually bolted to this very engine in the picture when the previous owner had it in the UK, when he broke the car he sold the pipes seperately, the chap who bought them never fitted them to his 1JZ and decided to sell them on.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

I don't know pedro, that pipe wasnt on eBay when i bought mine, hence I went for the MK3 job, but looking at the sellers other 1JZ items it looks as though he is selling the same item for all 1JZ engined chassis, which makes me think that maybe its a MK3 item and he is advertising it as fitting a Soarer.

They dumps look quality, do you notice the difference? It has to spool a fair bit quicker.

They dumps look quality, do you notice the difference? It has to spool a fair bit quicker.

I have nothing to compare it to mate this project is full of firsts for me!

I have a dyno sheet for it somewhere which I will dig out and upload, but the session in March was a disaster, I forgot about the condition of the 20-odd litres of petrol in the tank which had been there since September of 2010.

I threw in a fresh 20 litres but the tuner said he was going to take it very easy, 5k rpm & .8 bar of boost, it still made 320 bhp:d.

...I ended up chasing this second hand pair of Australian-made dump pipes down on a Soarer Owners Club for a fair wedge of dough, but I feel it was totally justified!:D....
Lew's dumps? IIRC, the Aussies used to reckon they were worth 20rwhp.

I don't think they're Lew's mate, as far as I know all his creations had two pipes coming from each turbo which merged before the collector, almost like a 4-2-1.

They're definitely Australian though as I followed their journey right the way back to when they first landed in the UK with Rob, the original importer.

I don't think they're Lew's mate, as far as I know all his creations had two pipes coming from each turbo which merged before the collector, almost like a 4-2-1.

They're definitely Australian though as I followed their journey right the way back to when they first landed in the UK with Rob, the original importer.

They are certainly very similar. All the others I've seen have been much shorter.

If memory serves, Lew originally made his dumps without the divided wastegate that the later version had, but that would have been a long time ago.

EDIT:

Actually, you're correct. Lew's were separate nearly to the flange.

http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15091&stc=1&d=1224092455

(I should have known, There's a set in my shed, but I haven't seen them for a while. :))

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

If memory serves, Lew originally made his dumps without the divided wastegate that the later version had.

Nah mate, I've just double checked Rob's posts on the matter on Soarerworld and he states they're definitely not Lew's but a similar copy, he bought them for a chap called Muzzy in Oz if that means anything to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Wee update, been away on holiday for a couple of weeks, so when I got back a couple of days ago decided to get all the finishing touches sorted. Before I left for hols I made up a makeshift Flex pipe to go from the MK3 Downpipe to the MK4 Exhaust, was blowing really bad, but it gave me the chance to get it out on the road to sort out any coolant/boost leaks etc, with any leaks addressed it was good to be locked up ready for me coming home.

Anyway I took that off today and welded it up, it sounds so much better, didnt get pictures, my welding is not very neat anyway so doesnt look great, but its stainless and its leak free so thats all that matters.

Thursday was spent fitting gauges, and installing the sounds in the boot. Got a nice Pioneer DOuble Din headunit that looks really good with the Supra dash. Still completely undecided what route I will be going with the car if I will keep the sounds or strip and cage it, hence no fancy boot builds.

Friday was a case of giving it a right good clean and polish, having been sitting for about 3 months it was a mess.

Bodywork is one of the areas that really lets the car down, loads of scrapes scratches dents, tailgate is rusted round the window etc, I think the rear quarters have been painted in the past with a spray can:(. Unfortunately bodywork is one thing i won't touch so will have to be a bodyshop job, im still in two minds about colour, and if to keep the bodywork stock or a kit.

Anyway to date since i started the project in Feb, the car has had Sounds installed, Battery relocated to boot, TT clocks fitted. block painted and parts polished, Stage 3 6 Puck Clutch, and Fidanza Flywheel, MK3 supra 3" downpipe, running stock twins at the moment, reading 1.1 bar of boost with the downpipe alone:), Walbro 255 fuel pump, Superspark coil packs with the brackets polished up, Alloy radiator with Twin Fans, Alloy pulleys, Front Mount intercooler, braided fuel lines, a/c deleted, charcoal canister deleted with a braided line dumping under the engine, Custom coolant hoses, Expansion tank removed and replaced with a mini alloy job next to washer bottle, Custom intake pipework, Drivers side loom been tucked up inside the wing (Passenger side, as well as Igniter, and Fuse Box to do), Innovate wideband, EGT gauges, Water and Oil Temp Gauges, Oil Pressure Gauge and Boost Gauge, Facelift Headlights, Indicators and Side Repeaters.

There is still loads to do, a lot more polishing to be done, I have a SAFC 2 and a Profec B sitting for it, a few more dress up parts to get, but its driving well just now thats the main thing! The goal now Is R154, Single Turbo, Uprated Injectors, Standalone etc, but for the moment I will run it as is until either the stock twins give way, the W58 falls to bits or I get bored! Im going to try and get pics up, didn't seem to work the last time I tried so I would be grateful if peeps would let me know if they are visible or not.

09062012488[1].jpg

09062012489[1].jpg

09062012463[1].jpg

09062012467[1].jpg

09062012484[1].jpg

09062012485[1].jpg

09062012481[1].jpg

09062012480[1].jpg

09062012478[1].jpg

09062012483[1].jpg

09062012458[1].jpg

09062012451[1].jpg

09062012452[1].jpg

looks a clean build mate :)

im also running the 1jz, i think there awesome, the parallell turbo kick in is awesome!!

im going single turbo now very shortly on it, only running it low boost untill the new gearbox comes though.

Cheers Mate :)

Had a read of your thread, i think you had just completed your swap when i parked mine up to do mine.

Bummer about that dippy woman driver though! But you made a good job of the fix.

You got an R154 coming or are you going 6 Speed?

Im also running 1JZ but with single turbo, just blew it up so rebuilding again, and fitting R154 box at the same time.

If you have stock bearing then dont rev them to high as it will spin them and scrap the crank, worth changing to ACL soon as you can.

What did you blow mate? Turbo or engine? What sort of power where you running with the single? I was under the impression that stock internals were good for around 450-500hp?

Weakest link being the W58, you had no issues with the W58 running single? I'd never even contemplated going single until i picked up an R154.

All looking very tidy Kraig, well done sir!

Welcome to the club within the club.:)

Cheers Pedro, well chuffed with it, need to get the boost controller installed though :D

Wish i'd thought of running the vacuum lines before I put the lump in, the rear turbo is gonna be a pain in the arse to T into!

Cheers Pedro, well chuffed with it, need to get the boost controller installed though :D

Wish i'd thought of running the vacuum lines before I put the lump in, the rear turbo is gonna be a pain in the arse to T into!

I almost cried doing that job. Hardest part of the entire build!

Like you I kicked myself for not thinking of it earlier.

The ONLY way I could even get near the wastegate fitting was from underneath with a 90 degree external circlip pliers doubling as a pair of finger extensions.

Good luck!

Dont forget you only need one boost pressure line from the front turbo, only two wastegates lines are needed, one to each turbo.:innocent:

I almost cried doing that job. Hardest part of the entire build!

Like you I kicked myself for not thinking of it earlier.

The ONLY way I could even get near the wastegate fitting was from underneath with a 90 degree external circlip pliers doubling as a pair of finger extensions.

Good luck!

Dont forget you only need one boost pressure line from the front turbo, only two wastegates lines are needed, one to each turbo.:innocent:

I'll give it a bash tomorrow. Im thinking that if i wipe of the rear turbo intake pipe, it might make it a bit easier, problem is the bolts are pretty long and might foul on bulkhead.

As for my homemade exhaust, heres a video of a flyby today, don't think it sounds to bad,