The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another wheel spacer question

Neil-NA

Ride height will stay the same as i am on KYB AGX shocks.

Will try for 10mm then, thanks Scott.

That's just a guess bud, you could probably stretch to 15mm. With 15mm you can get hub adapters, which will be bolt on spacers. With 10mm you can't so will need extended wheel studs. At 15mm, if you use bolt on spacers, your wheels will need to be webbed at the hub face in order to make space for the nuts/studs that will protrude.

It's quite tricky to get right, and it isn't cheap to get a set unfortunately.

the spigot is important on taking load off the studs, ive seen a guy in a paper weight mx5 sheer bolts under braking purley becease he had wheels with a larger bore and no spigot rings. bolts are shamferd and will centre up the wheel. there job is to hold the wheel in , and the spigot takes load

Just spotted this, shearing the studs under breaking is nothing to do with the spigot ring as it's a rotational force. IMO they sheared as they weren't tightened up properly.

I ran my Vectra a few years back without spigot rings, as I didn't know they were there, and the wheel balance was miles out. The coned nuts and bolts are shaped like that to increase the surface area that they are tightened with. Same goes with the tophat nuts, they are like that so that the friction area is increased.

Lots of people think lots of different things about the reasoning for all this stuff. On the most part it's all hearsay and what those people think makes sense. It's not until you actually look into the stresses and strains of what happens with materials under load and stress (including shock, etc) that you see the reasons for these things being in place. A lot of assumptions have to be made to take it as gospel that the spigot takes the load of the car, one clear cut fact is that if it did the inner bore of your wheels would be gubbed.