The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1uzfe

Guest rscob

Hi,i am after converting to a 1 uzfe engine and manual w58gearbox,is the swap from auto to manual simple to do,i have read that you keep the auto bellhousing and use with an adaptor plate and a mr2 turbo flywheel not too sure on the clutch and release bearing side though.....any thoughts or parts for sale that can help me.

Rob

• 2 months later...

Thats the cheap way of doing it, I'm not a fan of re drilled flywheels though. KS Racing do a proper conversion kit for the w58 that works, the r154 one does not, as I found out.

conversion is about 700 quid with clutch etc.

KS Racing have been mentioned.

CRS and Dellow in Australia have supplied bellhousing kits that use the standard clutch release for years.

Bullet Cars in Australia sell a kit. Don't know if it's their own or if they re-sell CRS or Dellow.

Quantum Auto in the US do a kit - http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/422578-ultimate-1uzfe-w58-conversion-thread-lots-of-pics.html

You can buy a CAD file from v-eight.com for an adaptor that uses the 1UZ-FE auto bellhousing. It would need a concentric hydraulic bearing release like the Quantum kit. (This bloke used the R154 CAD file and had to tweak it a bit - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1095810&mid=35934&nmt=1st+Real+Project%3A+E30+BMW+4.0+V8.)

H7ERO on here made his own.

I think there's a DIY how to on Lextreme.

I've also seen bellhousings and adaptors for sale on www.trademe.co.nz

EDIT:

This may be useful >>> http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29128 (found by Beezer on Soarer World).

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Ahem, 1st time poster but long time lurker and collector of 1UZ engines... ;)

Remember when using a 3S-GTE flywheel you must chamfer the ring gear so that its profile looks like ^ instead of |\ as the starter motor enters from engine side on the 1UZ and gearbox side on the 3S. You don't need to drill new holes in the flywheel but you do need to slot the bolt holes as the PCD is wrong. You also need to cut down the driveplate that's normally bolted to the end of the crank and use the centre of it as a spacer to space the flywheel away from the starter gear slightly.

I believe you should be able to use a 3S-GTE clutch. Certainly the R154s input splines are the same as the E153. Not sure on length though. You're on your own with release bearings too, every conversion I've read about seems to use a different one!

By the time you buy the quantum auto kit and the tilton release bearing (which it does not include) and ship it here and add VAT and import duty you might as well have bought the Thor Racing kit (although not listed on their site, they do a W58 kit for the same price as their R154 one). Still an eye-watering £1500 though!

Edited by toxo (see edit history)