The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Evo 8 FQ 330

neo1

Guest Waltsinhull
does the 260 have the same gubbins as the higher powered models when it comes to all the gizmos?

The 260 is in simple terms an Evo 7 with Evo 8 bumpers - but it has been detuned by the aid of a restricted flow exhaust (it also has an extra cat) to 260 bhp. Most are actually about 275 out of the box though and for about £1500 (a new exhaust, filter and modest remap) can be made to spit out about 330 bhp.

It has all of the toys that the more powerful stable-mates have, such as Active Yaw Control, four wheel drive, traction control etc.

The biggest difference is it only has a 5 speed box (like the Evo 7) whereas the FQ/MR's have a 6 speed.

There a few visual cues - the 260 does not have a rear wiper, it has different rear clusters (with a fog light) so there is no need to butcher the rear bumper.

The biggest visual cue is the size of the spoiler. Whilst I have a nice neat discreet spoiler. The more hardcore cars have a significantly higher spoiler which is seems to provide a penis extension as well as extra downforce, according to the MLR site.

Guest dee_rz

mate you would never catch or get close to a standard supra in a 260, your 0-60 is 6.2 or something against the supras 4.9 and rolling the supra would rape you, i used to beat 260's in my civic type r with 236.6bhp before you start saying bullshit etc the ctr weighs 1200kg and the evo weighs 1395kg so 1200kg and 2 wheel tranny loss would say buy buy to 1395 and 260 and 4 wheel tranny loss and it does, the only evo that would give a 400 bhp a good run on the roll would be a fq 400 yes the evo would waste the supra upto 100 and probably more untill very high speeds, it pisses me of when people just look at bhp or 4wd, it's about so much more, gearing torque bhp and power to weight and in genral a supra is a great alrounder, i love evo and scoobys but it makes me laugh when people claim shit like this.

back to the point and 400bhpish sup would beat an evo fq330 if you dont believe, i have around 400ish @1.0 bar and if anyone know's someone who has an evo fq330 who wants to do a test i'm game, i'll even put money down as to what will happen :woot: and if not i'll cry :D

dee_rz - is there really any need for the profanity?

Take a breath, be polite to new members and use the shift key once in a while.

Your sweeping statements provide no real world evidence, out there on the roads it's suprising how level things can be despite differences in quoted power outputs. As you pointed out yourself it's not all about BHP and drivetrain stuff - I'm more willing to listen to laptimes with the same driver in different cars on the same track.

Look at Best Motoring @ Tsukuba, the Lancer EVO VIII RS managed a 1:04.15 lap (a tuned one did a 59.7!) - a Veilside tuned Supra 'only' managed a 1:07.32 and a standard RZ did 1:07.66 (all on different dates, unknown conditions).

People on owners forums sometimes let their love of the car they own blinker them against other vehicles, I have a lot of respect for the EVO, be it a 260, a 400 or a base EVO I.

I also like mowing grass.

Well spoken Michael, but wtf you talking about you like mowing the grass, nobody likes that :D

Hey Waltsinhull, I'm in Hedon if ya wanna meet up and see what happens between our cars? Just to see how it would compare from a standing start and rolling start etc. Could be fun :D

Did I say mowing? Sorry I meant something else.

Anyway I think it's best to have a polite respect for all other cars on the road when you are an enthusiast :)

Would be nice if you could all make it to the next Yorkshire meet at Sherburn so we can have a play on the way there or the way back ;) (at legal speeds of course)

Anyway I've got to dash, a slice of cake just winked at me.

Guest Waltsinhull
mate you would never catch or get close to a standard supra in a 260, your 0-60 is 6.2 or something against the supras 4.9 and rolling the supra would rape you, i used to beat 260's in my civic type r with 236.6bhp before you start saying bullshit etc the ctr weighs 1200kg and the evo weighs 1395kg so 1200kg and 2 wheel tranny loss would say buy buy to 1395 and 260 and 4 wheel tranny loss and it does, the only evo that would give a 400 bhp a good run on the roll would be a fq 400 yes the evo would waste the supra upto 100 and probably more untill very high speeds, it pisses me of when people just look at bhp or 4wd, it's about so much more, gearing torque bhp and power to weight and in genral a supra is a great alrounder, i love evo and scoobys but it makes me laugh when people claim shit like this.

Don't move house, Dee RZ, or your village will have to advertise for another idiot.

If you read my post again, you hypertense tosser, you will note that the next paragraph to the one which you take offence starts...but seriously.

Right, now that you can see that the Newbie can defend himself, lets get on with it...

I'll be at ten of the best at Elvington on 30th July, lets see what that brings - I won't be racing my 260 though! I'm only there to watch.

:tongue:

Guest dee_rz

sorry if you took that as profanity but it wasn't mean't to sound quite so bad, but what does make me laugh is people that can call people tosser's threw a forum via text, you don't know me i don't know but you are welcome to say it to my face, i'll also be at totb watching too, be sure to say hi

Guest Waltsinhull

I'll look out for you. Do you look just like your avatar or shall I just look for someone who looks like they have chucked all their toys out of their pram.

Guest Waltsinhull

A new day - a new start.

I've only got 15 posts left and much to learn about your world!

My last word on this is that any stock evo from the IV upwards (okay, apart from the 260!) is going to be (more than!) a match for any stock Supra.

The Four Wheel Drive advantage will tell on a standing quarter mile, in the bends on a track and of course if it rains.

Once you start modifying, the Supra has more potential for higher numbers. The Evo is rarely teased beyond 450-500bhp - the limitations of its 2.0 litre engine, I guess.

Having said that, at a recent Elvington Meet, they had a massively powerful Supra rated at about 600bhp and it struggled like hell to get the power on to the road and was minced by a collection of Subarus and Skylines.

So, I would conclude that both cars and their drivers are worthy of respect from all enthusiasts, even if their viewpoint isn't always the same.

I am not particularly in the Evo corner - in the last 2 years I have had a variety of cars : Impreza,MR2,FTO,EVO and a few more besides - and my next intended purchase is a Supra, so I haven't come her just to cause trouble - but I will stand up for myself!

:rolleyes:

My best mate has an Evo6 and we're often competing against each other. As i said before yes he always beats me to say 60mph but i do catch him up and overtake at 100mph. So in a nut shell a supras 60-100 mph will have the edge but has no chance off the lights unless you have a long runway!

They're very similar yet totally different types of motor - horses for courses as some might say. You stick a bit of wet on the road and the sup is mince meat but an oval track is a totally different story.

My mates Evo6 has similar minors mods as mine, we do santa pods quite often. Our best times:-

Evo7 = 13.4@102 (0-60ft 1.8 secs)

MINE = 13.4@106 (0-60ft 2.2 secs)

Also read this

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=41710

Edited:- sorry i put EVO7, supposed to say EVO6 !!! -its still early and i'm hungover ! :burp: :friday: :drown:

Evo's are v.nice ... would love to have a go in one! :) And the 4WD makes the launch like hell! I was at Brize Norton Airstrip last year - watching. And this Evo completely butchered a Caterham's and its Cossie Turbo engine.

Killed it that bad - the Caterham owner got the pissed ripped out of him that bad by the other Caterham boys - it actually started a fight!

Seriously tho .. if my BPU Supe was at the lights with an Evo in dry conditions ... I would expect to get my ass completely and truely whopped.

I've never raced an Evo ... but I think it would be foolish to underestimate them.

Just imo.

Guest dee_rz

Apologues for yesterday i was probably getting too into what i was saying, agreed with what you last said, an evo is deffinatly a raw track car and will embrass most cars on a track or on the old country twistys especially in the wet supra included, i thought that it we were talking in a straight line when rolling.

Please don't think that i don't like evo's far from it i am in fact looking at getting an evo (fq330 or similar) later this year, i have the upmost respect for evo's and love them to bits and sorry if i cause offensence, i always have strong views and sometimes say too much :complain:

p.s yes my english is shite i know :rtfm: the forum is awesome and i never want to cause disrespect or any crap for that matter.

Straight line, rolling from 40mph+ the supra's defo got the edge. My mates got an evo 4 (~300bhp), its as quick as mine to 60 bcos of my traction issues, but after that, i rapidly leave him behind. But lets face it, Evo's are damn ugly compared to the supra IMO! The evo 5/6 are the only nice looking ones, but after that they went rapidly downhill.

The supra has supercar looks, whereas the evo looks like a standard 4door car which has been modified by a boyracer with too much money

IMO :scare:

edited to say, no disrespect to the evo's meant, as b-road cars they are awesome