The mkiv Supra Owners Club

smelly blue smoke . . . .uhhh oohhhh

jast

The Supe seems to be producing oily smelling smoke when reving the car after idle, is this a major issue, anyones supra do this???? Its got 75k FSH from 20,000, and its had 3500, spent on it doing the turbos etc about 10000k ago. Any advise on cost, effects etc????

Seem to do this more today as Ive just had a realood run in it, fastest ive drivin it yet, and Ive also had a brief interlude with an Evo 7 before arriving at work, came across him down the straight towards work, he saw me and started to boot it, i obliged! Stuck to his ass like a silver leech, all the way up to 130 when we had to slow down for the next roundabout. Very Impressed, Just glad its a dry day!!!!! major buzz

Could be rings. I think high revs at no load (i.e. at idle) is the worst case for getting them to seal, so if they are on the way out this would be the first time they would leak.

Enough people on the BBS have had turbo seals go to give you an indicator of whether its that instead.

Get a cylinder leakage test done as opposed to a compression test.

It will confirm quite a few things. Any garage worth it's salt will be able to do it and FWIW we would charge about £75 so it's unlikely to cost more than that. Money well spent IMO if you have oil burning problems and need to decide between turbos or bottom end/valves.

Cheers,

Nathan

TDI PLC