The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering wheel removal...

Suprachargedtt

I have a new steering wheel and boss kit to fit to the sup, I havent a clue where to begin! My steering wheel has an airbag and cruise control. I have the correct boss but how do i remove the wheel? is it an easy job?? Is there instructions i can read on how to do this?? :rtfm:

James

Try typing steering wheel removal in the search box, and by magic : :shrug: :eek: :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=27520&page=1&pp=15&highlight=steering+wheel+removal

Also, these on Supraforums

Its really easy.

1. Unhook your battery

2. Pop the 2 little cover of the sides of you steeringwheel

3. Unscrew the Torx screws behind the covers

4. Slide out the airbag

5. Unhook the 2 harnesses (the one for the airbag has a locking device over it, just push in the tab and it will swing up, then push the other tab and slide out the connector)

6. Use a socket and unscrew the nut in the center of the wheel (19mm I think)

7. Make a note of the position of the steeringwheel

8. Grab the wheel at 3 & 9 and wiggle it off (no steering wheel puller needed)

9. Reverse instructions to put the other wheel back on

10. Have a drink.

or

There are 2 good ways to get the steering wheel off IMO... 1st, steering wheel puller, my weapon of choice. 2nd, leave the nut on with a few threads, then pull the wheel off with your hands, you can hit the back of the steering wheel on opposite sides as well, it will loosen it up, I use this technique at the junkyard when I forgot my puller, lol.

If you don't leave the nut on the threads you may smoke yourself in the face... I haven't ever done it, but I've seen it done

or

You'll need a Torx set (#25 bit I think), a flathead screwdriver, and a 19mm socket with an extension. I didn't need to use a steerinwheel puller.

Have the steeringwheel perfectly straight. Unhook your battery, take the two access panels off the side of the steeringwheel and then use a the torx key and take the screws out. Carefully lift the horn/airbag off and unhook the 2 harnesses (the airbag harness has a special lock you have to unclip, it's pretty straighforward) Once you have the airbag off, just hold the wheel tightly and unscrew the nut. Make a note of the wheel position grab it @ 3 and 9 o'clock and wigle it off.