The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help - no 2nd turbo

Guest 93twinturbo

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gazza
Has anyone heard the story about the Lobster.......................??

is it a good story? lol.

been doing loads of digging on this the last couple of hours. it seems what 1 person deems as ceramic another deems as steel and visa versa.

looking through loads of other toyota forums it seems toyota put in what ever they damn well pleased variying from all ceramic to all steel and some time's combo's.

but pretty much all of the forums agreee japanese demestic model mr2, tt supra and st205 celica's has ct20's with ceramic innners, export models seem to come with steel inners. and that is weather or not its ct20/A/B/. and altezza's also seem to be in the same boat, but even owners of them on the forums can't make up their minds if they have ct20A or ct12's as in the UK supra.

and just to throw a spanner in the works apparrently the ct20 was made and used in the 80's and not after that time.

so i guess its just a case of keep your fingers crossed and hope your's has all steel internals because toyota probaly wouldn't know any way lol.

is it a good story? lol.

been doing loads of digging on this the last couple of hours. it seems what 1 person deems as ceramic another deems as steel and visa versa.

looking through loads of other toyota forums it seems toyota put in what ever they damn well pleased variying from all ceramic to all steel and some time's combo's.

but pretty much all of the forums agreee japanese demestic model mr2, tt supra and st205 celica's has ct20's with ceramic innners, export models seem to come with steel inners. and that is weather or not its ct20/A/B/. and altezza's also seem to be in the same boat, but even owners of them on the forums can't make up their minds if they have ct20A or ct12's as in the UK supra.

and just to throw a spanner in the works apparrently the ct20 was made and used in the 80's and not after that time.

so i guess its just a case of keep your fingers crossed and hope your's has all steel internals because toyota probaly wouldn't know any way lol.

You are saying inners though, the CT20B does have A ceramic inner.... the shaft. The important part of the conversation is the turbine wheel. In the MR2 it is steel, in the Supra it is Ceramic. This is the main difference between the turbos, and the reason why there is so much confusion regarding which is where. People think the CT20 and the CT20B are the same turbo.

The Supra has the CT20, the MR2 has the CT20B. They are different turbos. If you pull a CT20B apart you will notice it has a steel turbine wheel with a ceramic shaft. I can't tell you what the shaft is in the supras turbos as I haven't looked, but the turbine wheel is most definitely ceramic. ST205 has the same turbo as the MR2, the Supra is a different design.

Guest gazza

you need to go and do some more digging online because thats not what i was reading from over 5 different forums. the exact same argument. and i even found a page on the st 205 showing the difference from the import version to the jdm version and pointing out the exhaust wheel and shaft are steel in export but ceramic in the jap market version. and another sight that said the only st that come with all steel inners is the carlos seinz version. so this is a really pointles thread now.

and if you go to fensport and check out the stage 2 turbo ct20b page then click on a pick on the page and read what it says underneath it says st205 steel wheels and shaft used! now why do you think they would need to put steel wheels if acording to you they are already steel? the stage 0 is stock and the stage 1 is listed as steel shaft. now go call them liers. ive only put what ive read and that there seems to be mass confusion surrounding the gen3 turbo supra imports and aristo's too. also some tuners will tell you that no such turbo as the ct20b even exsist's, that there are no markings on them being called that, and the workshop manual and even toyota don't list a ct20b, its just listed as a gen3 turbo, so go get actual proof and put this to bed once and for all. because it seems that its just luck of the draw depending on what bloody mood toyota was in and what was in their parts bin at the time. also toyota deemed with the JDM version being restricted to 110mph all ceramic inners was fine for the supra. but as the exported cars did not have that restriction they got the ct12 turbos with all steel internals.

and regardless weather or not gen3 mr2 turbo has or has not got ceramic wheels its still shit as the shaft is its week point more so than the wheels. also the ct20 turbo was produced in the 70's for deisel engines and there is no listing for a ct20A.

which is what some think is on the JDM supra's. this is apperently folk lore and was just an easier way of speaking about the turbos from different cars with different inners fitted but all using the same turbo casing.

don't shoot the messenger, just relaying what ive been digging up about it.

so i guess unless you speak japanese and can write or type it and contact toyota directly in japan we will probly never know for sure .

Edited by gazza (see edit history)

Old diesel turbo you say? Like that used in the 2.5l Diesel landcruiser?

http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/en/pages/technical/CT20%20turbochargers.htm

According to this site, debate exists on whether the ST205 has the CT20 or CT20b, noting a difference between both of the turbos.

The only thing I can see that keeps coming up is the twin entry thing. What does that mean? It would appear the CT20b is twin entry and the CT20 isn't?

This site shows a breakdown of the CT20, apparently there is a CT20A as well, as that denotes the lack of wastegate on the 1st turbo of the Supra. Not sure if that has just been named for our benefit, there are 2 part numbers from hitachi as per the previous link though. If you have had a CT20b apart you should be able to notice the differences.

Not sure if this is a one off but this turbo has "CT20" on the housing. I haven't looked at my turbos to know if this is the norm...

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

Guest gazza

the mr2 should only have toyota stamped on them and nothing else but not certain about the supra. they were also made in house by toyota which is why they are more exspensive to repair as the parts don't come as readily available.

this link also gives good details.

http://toysport.com/webpages/NewsInfo/Info/FYI3SGTE.htm

this was a post on U.S. forum.

All the turbo's are CT26's of one type or another .. I believe it got called the CT20b as the original was a CT26, the latter turbo has no casting marks (where the earlier has CT26 cast on it) and it went from 26mm to 20mm .. so the "MR2 Rev3 CT20B" was born on the internet ...

also found this, he brought a brand new "ct20b" and notice it has ceramic impella blades just as i said, order a brand new turbo for your supra or mr2 turbo import giving the chassis number and you will get all ceramic inners. i.e. the pastel gray as aposed to the plain steel colour of the carlos sienz version st205 unit.

http://www.mybluemr2.co.uk/CT20b/index.htm

http://www.mybluemr2.co.uk/CT20b/9.jpg

this is what a brand new steel blade looks like for the st205 turbo uk version, note how different the colour is.

http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/pics/steel%20turbine.jpg

http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/Turbo%20photos.htm

also this is a ct20 and will not bolt on the mr2 or supra note single entry instead of twin.

http://connect.in.com/ct20-turbo/images-toyota-ct20-turbo-cartridge--1-242610803929.html

also found this, note he says ceramic conpressor wheel.

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/mk2/ct20b-repair-133693.html

and another rev3 turbo with ceramic wheels. also an explanation about the what different turbos were used on.

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/mk2/ct20b-repair-133693.html

this is from the alltrac forum, kind of explains a phew things.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=247903&sid=91588085581957e9e7dac9d2f56e5a94

so overall it seems like a mine field when dealing with what turbo you have or want to get or what you think you might have.

lets hope we all have the st205 carlos sainz wrc turbo's fitted.

hope all this info will help and clear up the arguments.

Edited by gazza (see edit history)

Guest gazza

thats exactly how it seems regarding the ct turbo's if toyota would of stamped them it would make life a whole lot easier. seems the 1's that are known for sure is the ct26 and the old ct20, from way back. non stamped version are a figment of our imagination lol.

Guest 93twinturbo

guys good news was just a big fat craic on housing werever that is says my mechanic!!! my wee baby is back on the road looks lak she on red bull she nearly fly lol lol thanks very much 4 your help

Guest 93twinturbo

time to give her more power!! any ideias like i just want her up to 400bhp will just lower the head gasket do the job!??without touching the engine!?? please any one!!thanks

time to give her more power!! any ideias like i just want her up to 400bhp will just lower the head gasket do the job!??without touching the engine!?? please any one!!thanks

Ohhh 400? Pushing it. Probably a full rebuild and 3.4L stroker needed for that...

P.S. Bpu

Guest gazza
Ohhh 400? Pushing it. Probably a full rebuild and 3.4L stroker needed for that...

P.S. Bpu

he said 400bhp not 4000 lol, stock turbo's can manage 400 with the other mods, and no need to lower the head gasket. good exhaust system, big front mount intercooler, boost controller and decat pipe. but most important get it set up on a rolling road to make the most out of it.

there's lots of guys on here running about 400bhp on twins with BPU.

he said 400bhp not 4000 lol, stock turbo's can manage 400 with the other mods, and no need to lower the head gasket. good exhaust system, big front mount intercooler, boost controller and decat pipe. but most important get it set up on a rolling road to make the most out of it.

there's lots of guys on here running about 400bhp on twins with BPU.

He wasn't being serious :p

Stock SMIC is fine at BPU too, as long as it's in good condition.

Guest gazza
He wasn't being serious :p

Stock SMIC is fine at BPU too, as long as it's in good condition.

kinda got that as he had p.s. bpu, under his comment :) and neither was i. i.e. 4000 bhp is a give away :)